Military History/Ile de France voyage from India to UK

Question
Dear Sir,
I was born in 1941 in Deolali India, the son of a British Army soldier, now deceased.I can recall personally, boarding a huge ship from a tender and sailing to the UK, and was subsequently told by my mother, also deceased, that we travelled on the Ile De France a vast and beautiful ship. I do not know either the port of embarkation in India, or the port of destination, (except that it was in the UK) but I hope that reference to the ships log book will reveal this information.   Please can you tell me if you have access to the Ile de France's itinerary and if you can advise when it sailed from India to UK please? My understanding is that I was five years old on my arrival in the UK, so that would put the arrival year as 1946 if that info is correct. Many thanks, John (aged 71)

Answer
Dear Sir,
  Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "can you tell me if you have access to the Ile de France's itinerary and if you can advise when it sailed from India to UK please?"  The only "itinerary" I have is for the RMS Ile de France, November 1942 through January 1946.  None of the voyages start nor end in India.  
  I know that what I have typed is a disappointing, but I do have some suggestions for further research on your part.  

A)   You may wish to contact The National Archives at      www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

B)   It is my understanding that a young gentleman by the name of Christian Roden has recently conducted exhaustive research about the Ile de France, pre-WW 2, WW 2 & post-WW 2.  Educated at Washington & Lee University (Fulbright Scholar) Mr. Roden may be the gentleman WE both need to have a word with.  I have been trying for a few months to contact the gentleman with no results.  Maybe a two-fold search on both sided of "The Pond" will produce results.

My apology for leaving you with no answer.  Sometimes the answer is more research.  As my father often said, "if it were easy, your wouldn't appreciate it as much."  LOL

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville    TN    37201-1502
        USA

Military History

Richard V. Horrell