Military History/troop ship 1 day out of Pearl Harbor

Question
QUESTION: My father told me that when the Japanese attacked, the troop ship carrying him and other GI's was one day out from Pearl.  He said the Japanese were announcing that his ship was sunk, that the crew had abandon-ship exercises every morning at 3 a.m, and that the captain took a zig-zag course south which wound up in Australia.

Do you know the name of the ship?

ANSWER: Dear Sir,
  Thank you for your question.  Based upon what you have typed, there were several Troop Ships that fit your criteria.  If you would be so kind as to provide me with the first set of dates, horizontally, in Box #36 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents, it would be my pleasure to provide you with the name of the Troop Ship you desire.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502

QUESTION: Dear Mr. Horrell,
 Today I found a copy of my Dad's honorable discharge, but I'm not sure the page I'm looking at is page two. In block 36 of this page the first date (Date of Departure) is 21 Nov 41.  Is this the date you need?
Much obliged,
Mike Pickard

Answer
Happy Thanksgiving,
  Thank you for your follow-up.  Also, THANK YOU for following through with my request for the first set of dates, horizontally, in Box #36 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents.  It is ALWAYS a pleasure to deal with someone who follows through.  THANK YOU!
  Yes, you were looking at page two.  "21 Nov 41" is the date I needed.  Your original request was for the troop ship your father was onboard.  Unfortunately, I cannot determine that.  However, I can narrow your search down to seven troop ships.

Departure Date:   November 22, 1941
Departure Location:   San Francisco Port of Embarkation
Troop Ships:   SS Admiral Halstead
         SS Bloemfontein (Dutch)
         SS Coast Farmer
         USAT Meigs
         USAT Willard A. Holbrook /1st Batt. 148th Field Artillery Regiment, Idaho NG
         USS Chaumont  AP-5
         USS Republic  AP-33 / 2nd Batt. 131st Field Artillery Regiment, Texas NG
Arrival Date:   November 29, 1941
Arrival Location:   Pearl Harbor

X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X

Departure Date:   November 29, 1941
Departure Location:   Pearl Harbor
Troop Ship:   SS Admiral Halstead
         SS Bloemfontein
         SS Coast Farmer
         USAT Meigs
         USAT Willard A. Holbrook / 1st. Batt. 148th Field Artillery Regiment, Idaho NG
         USS Chaumont  AP-5
Arrival Date:   December 23, 1941
Arrival Location:   Brisbane, Australia
    via the Fiji Islands

Your father went onboard the troop ship November 21, 1941, the troop ships sailed November 22, 1941.  The loading process of troop ships was not as efficient as it would be, 1943-45.
  If you would be willing to photocopy page two, page three & page four of your father's Discharge Documents, then send the photocopies to me via First Class USPS, it would be my pleasure to share with you any FACTS I glean from the photocopies.  Please include your e-mail address for ease of response.
  Good Luck with your quest.

Happy Thanksgiving,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell