Military History/World War 1 Brass Shell (nose)

WW 1 shell nose
WW 1 shell nose  
Hello. I hope you can help with my query.
I have the nose of a First World War brass shell which has been nicely set in bakelite. There is also a small brass inscription screwed to the base of the plinth which says 'Nov 21st 1914'
The shell nose is stamped 'II RL', which I believe may relate to the Royal Laboratories, Woolwich Arsenal in London.
I can find no particular relevance attaching to the inscribed date, but the whole thing is so nicely made that it must have some significance. It was suggested that maybe the shell was fired by King George 5th whilst visiting the troops, but I can find no proof of this.
The circumference of the shell is approx 2.5 inches.
Any information you can provide would be most helpful. Many thanks

Dear Bob,
       There was a visit there by one of the members of the British Royal family to show their support for the war effort. The history of the arsenal doesn't say which specific member of the family visited. This wasn't unusual during wartime due to the need to keep up the morale of the workers. May God Bless-Lt. Colonel Robert A. Lynn, Florida Guard  

Military History

LTC Robert A. Lynn, Florida Guard

I can answer both specific and general military history questions from ancient times to the present. I also provide references and footnotes where I obtained the answers from.