Military History/WWII

Hi Trevor,
My father was a vet of WWII lauding from PA. He seldom talked of his time in the military so I know very little. I know he was drafted and if I remember correctly was to have gone in on Normandy Beach eleven days after D-Day. He was wounded and transported to a field hospital. I remember him mentioning he laid in a kind of Devils Den a day and a night before being picked up and taken to the hospital. I remember seeing a newspaper clipping stating he had been wounded and in a hospital near Cherbourg France.Some time later he was moved to a hospital in England and later was in the MP's. I know he was discharged from Indiantown Gap, PA, Dec 1945. Unfortunately I have very little to go on so where do I start? How or where do I go to find out more about his Army history?

Hi Ann

Thanks for the question.

I suppose your best place to start would be to request his file from the archives at

You could also request any pertinent morning reports at

Please be advised:

If you know what unit he was in you could do a Google search of that unit. There may be a website relating to that unit or it's veterans.

There are several books on D-Day that are worth reading, to give you an idea of what went on. Three very good reads are:

D-Day, Antony Beevor
Overlord, Max Hastings
The Longest Day, Cornelius Ryan

I hope this helps in some small way. It is gratifying to see people interested in their family history. I think it's important.

Military History

Trevor Collette

I can answer most specific questions regarding the war on the Eastern Front 1941-45 and general questions on WWII regarding the European Theatre of Operations. I can answer most questions on weapons and vehicles used in those areas of operation, Russian, German, Allied. I can also answer questions on contemporary weapon systems (land/sea/air), nuclear weapons and nuclear war fighting, biological and chemical warfare. I also have an interest in epidemiology and disease in history and Russian history during Stalin, specifically the GuLags. I cannot answer any more questions relating to discharge papers or other paperwork, obtaining military records, ranks and their comparisons, military duties etc. as there are outside my expertise.

3 years Lance Corporal in infantry regiment and 3 years Sapper (Combat Engineer)in Engineer Regiment, both Canadian Army Reserve. Extensive military history library, up until recently I was reading 3-5 books per month on military affairs, then ran out of shelf space, much to my wife's delight.

Business Administration, Human Resources Management