Military History/WWII Navy

I have a relative that service in WWII in the Navy. His rate and rank are AS V-6 he served on the USS Pennsylvania BB-38 from 31 Jan 1942 till 14 Apr 1943 then he served on the USS Mobile CL-63 from Apr 1943 till 1 Sep 1945.

Can you shed some light on what his life during this time could have been like? I know that AS stands for Apprentice Seaman but I'm have trouble finding out what V-6 stood for. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Doing a little research, I found that V-6 during WWII was a designation for someone who volunteered and was guaranteed being discharged within six months after the war was over.

As for life as an apprentice seaman, that is a rank rather than a description of a job. So it could be just about anything.

His job (military occupational specialty) would be found in his personnel records. All WWII personnel records should be available at the National Archives Military Personnel division in St. Louis. However, only the veteran or the veteran's next of kin can receive copies. ry this website for more info on that:

If you'd like to try to get more info on the ships, I'd suggest contacting the U.S. Navy's history division, the Navy History and Heritage Command. Their website is:

Military History

Marc Leepson

I can answer most questions dealing with all aspects of U.S. military history. My expertise is the Vietnam War. I also have written extensively about the U.S. Civil War, World War II, World War I, The Philippine War, and the American Revolution. My books include a concise biography of the Marquis de Lafayette, the history of the American Flag, and the post-Jefferson history of Monticello, and therefore know a great deal about those specific subjects. I specialize in writing about matters of strategy--not tactics. And I also am interested in personalities. I have very little knowledge about ordnance or the value of old military memorabilia. Nor do I know a lot about uniforms and insignia--except about the Vietnam War. To repeat: I have no expertise in assessing the value of ordnance or uniforms or any type of military equipment. And my knowledge about military uniforms is only limited to those of the Vietnam War era. If you have questions on these topics, I recommend contacting an antiques dealer in your area who specializes in military uniforms, ordnance, etc.

Author and journalist with more than 35 years' experience.

Authors Guild BIO International

New York Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Baltimore Sun, Chicago Tribute, New York Newsday, the Arizona Republic, St. Petersburg Times, Detroit News. Magazines: Smithsonian, Preservation, The VVA Veteran, Vietnam, Civil War Times, America's Civil War, Military History, World War II. Editor: The Webster's New World Dictionary of the Vietnam War

BA, 1967, George Washington University, History MA, 1971, George Washington University, European History

Vietnam Veterans of America Excellence in the Arts Award, 2011

Vietnam Veterans of America