Military History/138th AAA Gun Battalion

Question
QUESTION: My great grandfather served during WWII with the 138th aaa hq btry btn. I did have a copy of his discharge papers and with a little work could get another copy if you can't obtain any info without them. But I was told that he was at Iwo Jima by my grandma, his daughter. But other than that nothing else, to my knowledge, is known. I would appreciate any info you could give me about where his unit served and what they did during the war. Please email me back. Thanks very much for your effort and I look forward to hearing back from you.

ANSWER: Dear Sir,
  Thank you for your question.  It is indeed a pleasure to assist someone so young with an interest in WW 2.
  In your question you typed "My great grandfather served during WWII with the 138th aaa hq btry btn."  While your great grandfather may have been assigned to the HQ Battery, 138th Anti-Aircraft Artillery Gun Battalion, it was not during the battle for Iwo Jima, February-March 1945.  The 138th AAA Gun Battalion was de-activated at Camp Livingston, Louisiana, December 1, 1944.
  In your question you typed "I did have a copy of his.......you can't obtain any info without them."  I respectfully request that you photocopy your great grandfather's Discharge Documents (page two, page three & page four would be great, but page two is a must) then send the photocopies to me via First Class USPS.  It would be my pleasure to share with you all the FACTS I glean from the Discharge Documents.  Please include your e-mail address for ease of response.
  While research in the 21st Century can be done with the snap of a finger, research about the WW 2 era can be a bit more laborious.  I ask for your patience, & in return I will do my best.  I am sure that your great grandfather looks upon your interest with a HUGE smile & a swelling sense of pride that his family remembers his role in WW 2 so many decades later.
  Good Luck with your quest.

Happy Holidays,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502

QUESTION: The discharge paper that I had was only one page and I do not know which page it was. It said where he enlisted at and how long he served and how long he was out of country and in country while he was enlisted. It also said which metals he received and where he was discharged along with other basic information. I was not aware there was more than that. I will have to contact my grandmother to see if she has the others she could send me. And I have no idea how you knew that I was young. I am twenty one and my great grandfather died in 2002. He was buried with full military honors and I believe that is the root of my interest in his enlistment period and history in general. I do not want to rate you yet because you didn't really give me much information but I am sure that you can so I feel it would be unfair for me to rate you at this point. Is there any other information that you can give me about the 138th aaa before I rate you? I very much appreciate your speedy response and your effort and I will not give you a horrible rating because of that but more information would ensure a great rating for you. Thanks again, sir.

Respectfully,
Tyler B.

Answer
Dear Sir,
  Thank you for your follow-up.  Page two of your great-grandfather's Discharge Documents will have 57 numbered boxes, each box containing a FACT about your great-grandfather's service during WW 2.

Box #1     Last Name, First Name, Middle Initial
Box #2     Army Serial Number
Box #3     Grade
Box #4     Arm or Service
Box #5     Component
Box #6     Organization
Box #7     Date of Separation
Box #8     Place of Separation  
Box #9     Permanent Address for Mailing Purposes
Box #10    Date of Birth

So on & so forth.  If I do not have at least page two of your great-grandfather's Discharge Documents, I have no FACTS to begin ACCURATE historic research.
  In your follow-up you typed "I have no idea how you knew that I was young."  The WW 2 person-of-interest for you is your great-grandfather.  The WW 2 person-of-interest (initially) for me was my father.  How many generations separate you from WW 2?  How many generations separate me from WW 2?  That is why I am SO PLEASED to read than a young person has an interest in WW 2.
  As to your concern about my rating, thank you.  However, this is not about my rating.  This is about obtaining FACTS about your great-grandfather's role in WW 2, & your great-grandfather's role in WW 2 not being forgotten.  Let us focus on that goal, & if we achieve that, I'll sleep well that night.
  I will EAGERLY await a photocopy of page two of your great-grandfather's Discharge Documents via First Class USPS.  Please include your e-mail address for ease of response.

The Old Guy,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502

Military History

Richard V. Horrell