Military History/345th Ordnance Depot Company

QUESTION: Hi, I just found my father's Honorable Discharge  and Separation Qualification Record.  I searched for 345th Ordnance Depot Company and found your answer to another son whose father served in this company.  You asked about box 36 contents.  My father departed on 1 Mar 1944 to SWPA and arrived on 30 Mar 1944.  On the return, he departed on 12 Sep 1945 to USA and arrived on 8 Oct 1945.  I suspect these dates are the same or close to the same for the other father.  He was separated on 17 Nov 1945 at Cp Carson Conv Hosp, Cp Carson, Colo.  He was chief of ordnance warehouse and requisitions clerk.  He supervised 4 army personnel and up to 70 Filipino workers.

My father always said he was one of 16 in his company who survived the war.  I'm assuming that it must be the 345th he was referring to.  If there's any way to confirm that it would be interesting.

I'd appreciate any information you can share on the ships he was on.

Thanks for your help!!

ANSWER: Dear Sir,
  Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "My father departed on.......and arrived on 30 Mar 1944."  The following is about your father's voyage overseas:

Departure Date:   March 1, 1944
Departure Location:   San Francisco Port of Embarkation
Troop Ship:   SS Sea Witch
Arrival Date:   March 24, 1944
Arrival Location:   Milne Bay, New Guinea

After a few days unloading other units at Milne Bay, the SS Sea Witch sailed northwest along the north coast of New Guinea.  March 30, 1944 the SS Sea Witch would have arrived at Finschhafen, New Guinea, on the Huon Peninsula.
  In your question you typed "On the return, he.......and arrived on 8 Oct 1945."  Each of my entries in my Troop Ship Data Base has three different sources for the FACT, one of the sources a Primary Source.  The following only has two sources, so I am quite sure but not absolutely sure.  In that context, the USS Lakewood Victory  AK-236.
  Good Luck with your quest.

Happy Holidays,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502

QUESTION: Thanks again! Any idea where I can find information on the number of survivors of the 345th? Thanks much! dennis

Dear Sir,
  Thank you for your follow-up.  In it you typed "Any idea where I can.......of survivors of the 345th?"  I suggest you contact:

US Army Heritage & Education Center
Carlisle Barracks   PA   17013-5050

Good Luck with your quest.

Happy Holidays,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502

Military History

Richard V. Horrell

Can answer: World War Two. Specifically, the troop transport ships that took US Military Personnel overseas & returned them to the US, 1941-47. Also, unit history of US Army QM, Signal, MP, Ordnance, Medical, Transportation & Engineer units that served during WW 2. The more obscure units are my specialty. If you have the APO that a Veteran sent letters from or received letters at, I can look up the history of that APO.

A lifelong study of WW 2, including participation as a WW 2 Re-enactor, 1980-2002. Also, interviewing over 400 WW 2 Veterans about their role in WW 2.

AASLH, Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society

Over 800 Profiles that I have written for client's about their loved one's role in WW 2.

BA, History & Political Science (19th & 20th Century European History) Webster University, Webster Groves, MO.

Assisting the National Archives on numerous occasions during the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of WW 2, 1991-95.

Respectfully, I do not disclose the names of the clients I deal with. I have a confidentially agreement with them.