Military History/Basic Training Centers

Dear Mr. Sutton,
I have been researching my great-uncle Riley Miller's service during WWII.  He was KIA on 21 April 1945 and the family lost everything of him in a house fire in the 1950's.  As a result, I have found it difficult at times to locate information.

The Army Serial Number was created by whether you were enlisted, drafted, National Guard, etc. and by what corp area you came from.  As a result of this, did the area you came from dictate where you would do your basic training?  My grandfather was from Northwestern Wisconsin, was drafted from there, and did his basic training at Ft. Leonard Wood, MO.  My great-uncle Riley also came from the same area and was drafted as well.  Both went into the infantry.  Would my great-uncle Riley have done his basic training at Ft. Leonard Wood, MO as well?  Thanks so much for all your help.

It is possible he trained at Ft. Leonard Wood but not a 100% certain.  Bases would get full so new bases started or new recruits moved to other Basic training camps.   There is a museum at FT. Leonard Wood that might be able to help.

If I were you I might try  They have a free trial currently.
Please check out the links

Thank you  

Military History

Paul Sutton

I can answer questions on World War Two weapons, tactics, and strategy. I can answer questions on Weapons systems and their development. I can answer guestions on Space exploration history. I am a World War 2 expert. I study Military Weapons Systems and the usage of those systems.

I work for Saint Petersburg College as a TRS or Technology resources specialist. I read 10 to 15 books a year on World War 2 and weapon systems. I also have a BA in History from USF.

I have a BA in history from USF.