Military History/Combat Infantryman Badge earns a Bronze Star Medal for Valor?

Question
Mr. Horrell,

In doing research on my father-in-law's war experiences I have read "In September 1947, the National Defense Act of 1947 retro-actively awarded all those who earned a Combat Infantryman Badge during WW 2 a Bronze Star Medal for Valor.

Don Madigan was awarded his CIB as a member of the 9th AID, 6th AD and a Purple Heart on 11 Sept44 during action around Lorient France. Once recovered he was assigned to 503rd MP. (Patton's Police)

Are these medals available for the family and how do I arrange to receive his?

Thank you,

Answer
Dear Sir,
  Thank you for your question.  You are correct, the National Defense Act of September 1947 (yes, two years AFTER WW 2 ended) retro-actively awarded a Bronze Star Medal for Valor to those members of the US Military who were awarded a Combat Infantryman Badge during WW 2.
  Yes, the Bronze Star Medal for Valor is available to the Family, even if the Veteran has passed away.  You will need documentation that the Veteran was awarded a Combat Infantryman Badge.  I have found Box #31 and/or Box #33 on page two of the Veteran's Discharge Documents to suffice.
 The individual you need to contact to begin the process is the Representative that represents you in the US House of Representatives in Washington, DC (NOT the person that represents you at the state house in Boston).  I suggest you visit, in-person, the Representative's Local Office, with a photocopy of page two of the Veteran's Discharge Documents in hand.
  As to your father-in-law being "a member of the 9th AID, 6th AD".  I am familiar with the 6th Armored Division, but what unit does "9th AID" stand for?  I have the Order of Battle for the 6th Armored Division before me, as well as the unit history of the 6th Armored Division.  No "9th AID" that I can find.  Please, educate me.
  Good Luck with your quest.

Happy Holidays,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell