Military History/My father's voyage to Gourock, Scotland in 1942

Question
My Dad was a young 2nd Lt. in 1942, who embarked from New York to Gourock, Scotland around December 1, 1942.  He had said he was a morale officer on the voyage, either on the Queen Mary or Queen Elizabeth, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were another ship. I am sure of the approximate date, because my brother was born that day, and Dad learned of his birth while waiting on board to sail to Europe. He could not leave the ship, because departure was imminent.

If you can identify the ship and sailing date, our family would be delighted.

Answer
Good Day,
  Thank you for your question.  First off, the troop ship in question could not be the RMS Queen Elizabeth.  The following are the facts why not:

Departure Date:   December 3, 1942
Departure Location:   Gourock, Scotland
Troop Ship:   RMS Queen Elizabeth
Arrival Date:   December 9, 1942
Departure Location:   Halifax, Nova Scotia

The next voyage for the RMS Queen Elizabeth was from Halifax back to Gourock, so the troop ship was nowhere near the New York Port of Embarkation in early December 1942.
  The facts as per the RMS Queen Mary are as follows:

Departure Date:   December 8, 1942
Departure Location:   New York Port of Embarkation
Troop Ship:   RMS Queen Mary
Arrival Date:   December 14, 1942
Arrival Location:   Gourock, Scotland

May I suggest that you check these dates against the first set of date (horizontally) in Box #32 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents.  That way you can be sure of the RMS Queen Mary, or we need to conduct further research.  If you wish for me to conduct further research, I will respectfully request a photocopy of page two of your father's Discharge Documents be sent to me via First Class USPS.  Please include your e-mail address for further response.
  Good Luck with your quest.

Happy Holidays,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502

Military History

Richard V. Horrell