Military History/Norbert Luebbers HQ 84th INF DIV

Question
My father, Norbert F. Luebbers was a TEC 4 INF AUS for the HQ 84th INF DIV.  He was a Stenographer 213 for a "colonel".  he earned a Cert of Merit for his work in the Division G-2 Section from 11/18/1944 to 5/9/1945.

He is shown as having participated in "GO 33 and 40 WD 45 RHNELAND ARDENNES CENTRAL EUROPE".  His date of depature from the US was 9/20/1944, arriving on 10/3/1944 (destination shown as Scotland).  His return to the US is shown as 1/10/1946, arriving on 1/20/1946.

Can you advise:
1. The ship information for his voyages to/from ETO
2. What does the "AUS" mean as his "component"
3. What events are assocaited with General Orders 33 and 40 (do they refer to landing on Omaha Beach and the Battle of the Bulge as I have been reading?
4. Is there a way to learn more about the G-2 Section, and who his commanding officer may have been, and what the "213" means in his military specialty designation?

I saw the recommendation for reading up on the history of the 84th in another posting, and will follow up under that avenue as well.

Thank you in advance for all your help, this is a great service you provide!

Happy New Year!

Chris

Answer
Good Day,
  Thank you for your question.  From Cincinnati, Ohio, T-4 Norbert F. Luebbers is listed as assigned to the "Division Headquarters, 84th Infantry Division".  
  As to Question Number 1.  For your father's voyage overseas I am only able to narrow it down to two troop ships, the USAT Edmund B. Alexander or the USAT Thomas H. Barry.  As to your father's voyage back to the USA, I have no facts to provide you.  My apology.
  As to Question Number 2.  "AUS" is an acronym for Army of the United States, the Military Force the US Government raised to serve for the duration (of combat) plus six months.  There was the "RA" (Regular or Standing Army) & the "NG" (National Guard).  
  As to Question Number 3.  The events associated with "General Orders 33 and 40" is the authorization of Campaign Credits that your father participated in the

Rhineland          September 15, 1944-March 21, 1945
Ardennes-Alsace    December 16, 1944-January 15, 1945
Central Europe     March 22-May 8, 1945

Campaigns.  Since your father arrived in the ETO on October 3, 1944 & "Omaha Beach" was significant on June 6-7, 1944, "Omaha Beach" is not relevant to your father's significant service in the ETO.
  As to Question Number 4.  Lieutenant Colonel Donald W. Coons was the Command Officer of the 84th Infantry Division's G-2 Section while in the ETO, 1944-45.  We could discuss the role of G-2 in an Infantry Division of the US Army during WW 2 for hours & still not cover every aspect.  Simply put, the purpose of G-2 is the "collection, production and dissemination of combat intelligence".  For anyone to serve in G-2 in any capacity meant the individual was smart & competent.  
  I cannot stress enough the importance of you obtaining a copy of the Unit History of the 84th Infantry Division:

The 84th Infantry Division in the Battle of Germany, November 1944-May 1945
by Lieutenant Theodore Draper

Unit Histories of US Army Units during WW 2 vary from abysmal to OUTSTANDING!  The 84th Unit History is much closer to the latter.  Plus, a HIGH QUALITY reprint (perfect for your purposes) is available from Battery Press, located in Nashville, Tennessee.
  My apology for not answering every question you had.  All I can do is share the FACTS I have, & I did so with pleasure.  Railsplitters are always welcome.

Happy Holidays,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell