Military History/Shell casing markes

Question
Hi Paul my friend while diving around Cornwall UK found a shell casing and a shell bottom about three four inches in diameter and about twenty five inches long Ive tried to find out what the numbers and letters are but can only find the first three which is W.N.Y which i think is Washington Navy Yard.

The letters are:
W.N.Y.
2-16
3in 50c
J.H.G.with a anchor in the middle A.D.B.

I would be much obliged for your help.
Thanks.
Graham.

Answer
Greetings
You are correct W.N.Y. is short for Washington Navy Yard.  Your shell is for a US Navy 3"/50 caliber gun.  The British Navy also used a similar gun called the 3"/8cwt and 3"/17cwt.  The shell was manufactured in February 1916 for the US navy but likely sold to the British.  According to my research J.H.B. were inspector initials.  The anchor was to signify for naval usage.  
I hope this helps and enjoy the link.
Thank You

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_3-50_mk2.htm

Military History

Paul Sutton