Military History/springfield armory

Question
QUESTION: I have a Springfield armory 30-06 model 1903 with serial number 910684. When was this made? Any other history?

ANSWER: Art:

The serial number you have, 910684 indicates it was from the production run in 1918.
It is indeed a Springfield Armory produced gun.  Rock Island Arsenal, Smith Corona (yeah, the typewriter company), and Remington all made the rifle under licsense.

The number means it recieved improved heat treatment of the reciever which began at SN800000, but did not recieve nickel steel, which began at SN 1275767.

http://usmartialarmscollector.com/

The above link is to a for pay firearm researcher who might be able to trace the history of your rifle.  Unlike european weapons, on which you can find regimental numbers and cartouche's indicating the units the weapons were issued to, the US Army was not that anally retentive and did not track this information.

usmartialarmscollector.com

QUESTION: What would the value be on this rifle if i were to trade or sell it? It is in good condition and well taken care of.

Answer
Art:

The NRA has a grading system for miltary rifles.  Over the last few years, the Civilian Marksmanship Program was selling old surplus guns from the Army Armories to the public.  You could buy one if you met certain qualifications, which were easily met.  Veterans were grandfathered in.  

Go here to an Idea of the Grade and what the gun might be worth.

http://odcmp.com/Sales/m1903.htm

It sounds like yours is probably Service Grade or Collectors Grade.  Collectors Grade has matching Serial numbers on the Reciever AND on the Bolt.

They don't list Collectors grade anymore since most of the 03A3s have been sold.

I would estimate, judging from the prices I see on line that you can get $700-800 minimum, and would since it is a 1918 build date model, I would ask $1200 or more if it is in good shape and has a clean unpitted bore.  Take the bolt out and shine a flashlight down the barrel at the bolt end and look down the barrel from the muzzle.  If it does not show any dark rough looking spots it isn't pitted and has been well maintained.  Pitting in the barrel will affect accuracy and will detract from the asking price and collectors value.

Check out the prices here:

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/SearchResults.aspx?Keywords=1903%20springfield

Just so you know, they continued to make these rifles into WWII, even after they were issuing M1 Garands.  So having one from WWI is valuable for collectors.  Some were used in WWII and Korea for sniper rifles.  You have one that was probably purchased between the wars or walked off after being issued to a soldier.

Military History

Keith H. Patton