Military History/Troop Ship Information

Question
My father Ancil Terry passed away in 2000.  He talked very little about his military service.  He did mention that he was on a troop transport ship that left New York on Jan. 13, 1943 that arrived in Africa on Jan 26, 1943.  I have only found information on one ship, the "Ancon" that departed close to these dates.  I believe that these troop transport ships traveled in convoys.  Is there a chance that he may have been on a different ship?  
What other types of WWII questions can I ask?
Thank you for any help,
Dan

Answer
Dear Sir,
  Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "He did mention that he was on.......troop transport ships traveled in convoys."  The following may get you closer to the answer you desire:

Departure Date:   January 14, 1943
Departure Location:   Hampton Roads, Virginia Port of Embarkation
Troop Ships:   SS John Ericsson
         SS Monterey
         SS Santa Elena
         SS Santa Rosa
Arrival Date:   January 25, 1943
Arrival Location:   Casablanca, Morocco

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Departure Date:   January 14, 1943
Troop Ships:   SS Santa Paula
         USAT Borinquen
         USAT Cristobal
         USAT Evangeline
         USAT Frederick Lykes
         USAT J.W. McAndrew
         USAT Shawnee
         USS Ancon  AP-66
         USS Anne Arundel  AP-76
Arrival Date:   January 27, 1943
Arrival Location:   Oran, Algeria, North Africa
    via the Straits of Gibraltar

I acknowledge that the dates you typed & the dates I typed are not exactly the same.  I suggest you refer to Box #36 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents.  Also, Hampton Roads Port of Embarkation was the Departure Port of Record for this convoy.  That does not mean some of these troop ships did not depart from the New York Port of Embarkation & rendezvous with the troops ships departing Hampton Roads P of E.  All I have access to is the Departure Port of Record, Hampton Roads, Virginia Port of Embarkation.
  In your question you typed "Is there a chance that he may have been on a different ship?"  Yes.
  In your question you typed "What other typed of WWII questions can I ask?"  Of whom?  Me?  Other individuals at AllExperts?  WW 2 Research Historians?  Further research conducted by yourself?  If I were in your shoes, I would begin my own research utilizing pages two, three & four of your father's Discharge Documents to determine the unit he was assigned to pre-May 8, 1945 & post-May 8, 1845, the Campaigns your father participated in as well as any Decorations & Citations he was awarded.  Also, was he Wounded in Action?  What troop ship did he return to the USA upon?  Finally, where he was & what he was doing every day he was in the US Army in the 1940's.  These are lofty goals, but "if you don't try, you don't do".  Sorry for the poor grammar, but it is a quote.
  It would be my pleasure to try to assist you further.  For me to do so, I request a photocopy of page two of your father's Discharge Documents be sent to me via First Class USPS.  Please include your e-mail address for ease of response.  Without page two of your father's Discharge Documents, I have no FACTS to begin ACCURATE historic research with.
  Good Luck with your quest.

Happy Holidays,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell