Military History/Troop Transport

Question
My Dad left Camp Stoneman, CA on Sept 1, 1945.  He was with a group of 130 enlisted men.  I have the morning report.  I believe it says:
Passenger List
SF - 1578 Navy  (could be 1878 Navy)
Squadron D-16
AB-B100D (a)  
Staged at Stoneman.

His destination was the PTO  -  APO 929.

Can you tell me the ship he travelled on and where the ship docked.  His discharge papers says he arrived in the PTO on September 20th.
Upon arrival where did he go and how did he get there?  Would he have been then transported by truck?
Thank you.
G. Johnston

Answer
Dear Ms.,
  Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "My dad left Camp Stoneman, CA on Sept 1, 1945."  When you typed "Camp Stoneman" I assume (something I DETEST doing) you are referring to the San Francisco Port of Embarkation.  Camp Stoneman, CA was the Staging Area for the San Francisco Port of Embarkation.
  In your question you typed "His destination was the PTO - APO 929."  When your father departed on September 1, 1945 APO 929 was located on Leyte, Philippine Islands.  On September 3, 1945 APO 929 was relocated to San Fernando, Luzon, Philippine Islands.  Finally, on September 17, 1945 APO 929 was relocated to Sasebo, Japan!  His destination was APO 929.  APO 929 on September 1, 1945 or September 20, 1945?
  In your question you typed "Can you tell me the ship he travelled upon".  In my OPINION, the USS Henrico  APA-45.  In your question you typed "where the ship docked."  In my OPINION, Lingayen Gulf, Luzon, Philippine Islands.  
  AllExperts prefers that I provide FACTS, but in this situation I have few FACTS to provide you.  Hopefully my OPINIONS will aim your continued research in a direction where you will be able to obtain FACTS.
  My apology, this was not one of my better answers.

Happy Holidays,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell