Military History/Troop Transport Ship

Question
QUESTION: I'm trying to identify the ship my Father-in-law was on when he returned to the states from the ETO. His military records show he departed England on June 14, 1945 and arrived at H.R. P/E on June 30, 1945.  I'm assuming this stands for Hampton Roads.  He had been serving with the 11th Infantry Regiment, 5th Infantry Division.  He says his unit returned on the Queen Mary and participated in the parade in New York before being redeployed to Western arena.  Since he was being discharged, he didn't return with his unit and had to find his own voyage back to the states.  Hope you can help.  Thanks

ANSWER: Dear Sir,
  Thank you for your question.  Unfortunately, I could find no FACTS as per a troop ship departing the ETO on June 14, 1945 & arriving at the Hampton Roads, Virginia Port of Embarkation on June 30, 1945.  Obviously said voyage took place, I just have no FACTS in my Troop Ship Data Base.  One observation; a 16 day voyage from the ETO to an East Coast Port of Embarkation in June 1945 is a bit lengthy in time, compared to similar voyages in June 1945.
  You may wish to consult a New York City or Boston newspaper archives for June 29/30 1945 to learn more about troop ships arriving at East Coast Port of Embarkation in late June 1945.
  In your question you typed that your father-in-law "had to find his own voyage back to the states" in June 1945.  Are you typing that the US Military simply told your father-in-law to make his own way to an ETO port, pick a troop ship, board the ship & travel home?  WOW!  My experience, the US Military prefers to keep control of its property (Military Personnel) especially on the high seas.  I would REALLY, REALLY, REALLY enjoy a follow-up with FAR more details as per your father-in-law's "own voyage back to the states."
  Good Luck with your quest.

Happy Holidays,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502

QUESTION: Thanks for your response.  I know it seems a little vague.  He said all his trips were made on the Borinquen.  I can validate he sailed to Iceland in Jan 1943 on the Borinquen; however, he could not have sailed from Iceland to England on the Borinquen and obviously could not have returned to the states on the Borinquen in June 1945.  His story kind of implied that since he wasn't going to continue with the unit then he was going to have to fend for himself.  That's all the details I have.  

Again thanks for taking the time to give me a response.  This is a great thing you doing.

ANSWER: Dear Sir,
  Thank you for your follow-up.  In it you typed "I can validate he sailed to Iceland in Jan 1943 on the Borinquen".  Please read the following two voyages of the USAT Borinquen.

Departure Date:   November 25, 1942
Departure Location:  Oran, Algeria, North Africa
Troop Ship:   USAT Borinquen
Arrival Date:   December 13, 1942
Arrival Location:   New York Port of Embarkation
    via the Straits of Gibraltar

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Departure Date:   January 14, 1943
Departure Location:   Hampton Roads, VA Port of Embarkation
Troop Ship:   USAT Borinquen
Arrival Date:   January 27, 1943
Arrival Location:   Oran, Algeria, North Africa
    via the Straits of Gibraltar

For the time period of December 14, 1942 through January 13, 1943 I looked at every source available to me that the USAT Borinquen "sailed to Iceland".  Nil.  Would you be so kind as to share with me your source that you "can validate" your father-in-law was a passenger to Iceland onboard the USAT Borinquen in January 1943?  If I am in error, I will apologize profusely on AllExperts.
  Respectfully, may I suggest that we start over?  Would you be so kind as to provide me with ALL the dates typed in Box #36 on page two of your father-in-law's Discharge Documents?  For me, that would be a good start over point.  Of course, you are welcome to send me via First Class USPS photocopies of your father-in-law's Discharge Documents, which are invaluable toward ACCURATE historic research.  Please include your e-mail address for ease of response.
  Good Luck with your quest.

Happy Holidays,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502

QUESTION: Sorry for the confusion, I meant to say it was Jan 1942, not 1943.  He was a cook for the 10 Infantry Regiment, 5 Infantry Division.  In May of 1943, he was transferred to 5th Infantry Headquarters by request of General Parker.  He remained the General's cook after General Irwin took command.  They left Iceland and went to England in August 1943.  His military records show he departed Brookyn, NY on Jan 15, 1942 and arrived in Reykjavik, Iceland on Jan 25, 1942.  I've seen that the Borinquen had made this voyage, but I can't verify my Father-in-law could have been on it again for any of his other voyages.  Thanks for letting me share the memories.

Answer
Merry Christmas,
  Thank you for your follow-up.  As per the January 1942 voyage:

Departure Date:   January 15, 1942
Departure Location:   New York Port of Embarkation
Troop Ships:   USAT Borinquen
         USS Munargo  AP-20
Arrival Date:   January 25, 1942
Arrival Location:   Reykjavik, Iceland

As per the August 1943 voyage:

Departure Date:   August 6, 1943
Departure Location:   Reykjavik, Iceland
Troop Ships:   RMS Duchess of Richmond
         RMS Empress of Australia
         RMS Samaria
Arrival Date:   August 8, 1943
Arrival Location:   Gourock, Scotland

Good Luck with your quest.

Happy Holidays,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502

Military History

Richard V. Horrell