Military History/USS Monticello AP-61

My Father( Robert E. Hamel) was aboard the USS Monticello AP61 embarked New York  Nov.1942 enroute to Casablanca,North Africa. Do you have the Disembarking date for this vessel in North Africa.My fathers discharge papers show Nov.18, he swears it was the 8th and we are searching for concrete evidence of the actual date.His military records for this time were distroyed according to the military.I would like to give him a concrete answer for his 90th Birthday. Thanks for all you do, Brian

Dear Sir,
  Thank you for your question.  With all due respect to your father, the USS Monticello  AP-61 arrived at Casablanca, Morocco November 18, 1942.  I know a bit more about this convoy than the rest during WW 2 since my father was also onboard a troop ship in this convoy!  Small world.
  Your father may have November 8, 1942 in mind since that was the date Operation TORCH, the Allied invasion of Northwest Africa occurred.  The convoy our father's were on was the follow-up convoy to support the initial invasion.
  The following is a list of troop ships in question:

SS Fairland
SS John Ericsson
SS Monterey
SS Robin Sherwood
SS Santa Elena
SS Santa Isabel
SS Santa Margarita
SS Santa Monica
SS Santa Paula
SS Santa Rosa
USAT Cristobal (the troop ship my father was onboard)
USAT J.W. McAndrew
USS Hermitage  AP-54
USS Monticello  AP-61

What unit was your father assigned to in November 1942?  My father was a member of the 87th Ordnance Heavy Maintenance Company Tank/Field Artillery.  Please thank you father for defending our great republic so many decades ago.

Happy Holidays,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502

Military History

Richard V. Horrell

Can answer: World War Two. Specifically, the troop transport ships that took US Military Personnel overseas & returned them to the US, 1941-47. Also, unit history of US Army QM, Signal, MP, Ordnance, Medical, Transportation & Engineer units that served during WW 2. The more obscure units are my specialty. If you have the APO that a Veteran sent letters from or received letters at, I can look up the history of that APO.

A lifelong study of WW 2, including participation as a WW 2 Re-enactor, 1980-2002. Also, interviewing over 400 WW 2 Veterans about their role in WW 2.

AASLH, Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society

Over 800 Profiles that I have written for client's about their loved one's role in WW 2.

BA, History & Political Science (19th & 20th Century European History) Webster University, Webster Groves, MO.

Assisting the National Archives on numerous occasions during the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of WW 2, 1991-95.

Respectfully, I do not disclose the names of the clients I deal with. I have a confidentially agreement with them.