Military History/WW 2, 506th AAA Gun Battalion

What ship did battery A 506th AAA gun battalion of the US Army arrive at Iwo Jima on?  My Dad was in that outfit and I have some pictures of him there.  He told my older siblings that he was part of the "clean up crew" and that he was mainly a jeep driver to the air strip for officers. Do you know if they saw action?  Any information would be helpful.  
Thank you, Roger Soule

Dear Sir,
  Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "What ship did battery A.......arrive at Iwo Jima on?"  Unfortunately, I do not have that FACT in my Troop Ship Data Base.  The only entry I have about the 506th AAA Gun Battalion is as follows:

Departure Date:   June 17, 1944
Departure Location:   Seattle Port of Embarkation
Troop Ship:   USS U.S. Grant  AP-29
Arrival Date:   June 24, 1944
Arrival Location:   Pearl Harbor

The 506th AAA Gun Battalion, along with the 483rd AAA Auto-Weapons Battalion, were assigned to the 138th AAA Group, US Army.  The 138th AAA Group was attached to the V Amphibious Corps Artillery (USMC), which was assigned to the V Amphibious Corps Landing Force (USMC) also designated Task Group 56.1.  
  In your question you typed "Do you know if they saw action?"  Respectfully, anyone who was present on Iwo Jima between February 19, 1945 & March 26, 1945 "saw action".  The 506th AAA Gun Battalion landed on Iwo Jima February 25, 1945!  Your father "saw action".
  Have you obtained your father's Personnel File?  If not, I suggest you send a letter-of-request to:

National Personnel Records Center
1 Archives Drive
St. Louis   MO   63138

The wait may be 5-6 months due to backlog, but since the Personnel File (FACTS) is available, why not obtain it.  The family of WW 2 US Army & US AAF Veterans sure wish they could.
  Good Luck with your quest.

Happy Holidays,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502

Military History

Richard V. Horrell

Can answer: World War Two. Specifically, the troop transport ships that took US Military Personnel overseas & returned them to the US, 1941-47. Also, unit history of US Army QM, Signal, MP, Ordnance, Medical, Transportation & Engineer units that served during WW 2. The more obscure units are my specialty. If you have the APO that a Veteran sent letters from or received letters at, I can look up the history of that APO.

A lifelong study of WW 2, including participation as a WW 2 Re-enactor, 1980-2002. Also, interviewing over 400 WW 2 Veterans about their role in WW 2.

AASLH, Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society

Over 800 Profiles that I have written for client's about their loved one's role in WW 2.

BA, History & Political Science (19th & 20th Century European History) Webster University, Webster Groves, MO.

Assisting the National Archives on numerous occasions during the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of WW 2, 1991-95.

Respectfully, I do not disclose the names of the clients I deal with. I have a confidentially agreement with them.