Military History/506th AAA Gun Battalion

Rod wrote at 2013-10-12 15:12:52
The 506 AAA Bn was loaded on the LST 944 at Hawiian Islands on 21 Jan 1945. The 506th was attached to the 3rd Marine Division.

Arived Iwo Jima (after short stops at Eniwietok and Guam, departing Guam 16 Feb 1945. Arrived Iwo on D Day, 19 Feb 45. Shot down three Jap Kates and under fire from beech and there were several sub alerts. Several suicide plane attacks over next several days.

Beaching was attempted and due to near collision with LCI and LSM, one engine knocked out and had to beach with tug assistance. (This beaching was written up in Our Navu magazine as first beaching ever in naval warfare using a tug as a second engine).

Beaching finally finished 26 Feb after several days under fire from the beach and suicide plane attacks.

End of my knowledge of the 506th AAA Bn. Information from diary written at the time.  

Rod wrote at 2013-10-12 15:21:39
The 506th AAA Gun Battalion arrived at Iwo Jima February 25, 1945<<<<

Arrived on 19 Feb. Beached 0300 26 Feb 45

Rod wrote at 2013-10-14 15:26:26
To clarify. The 506 AA of course was not involved in the downing of the Japanese suicide planes as they were not operational until the LST 944 took them to the beach. The air/ground action was by the crew of the LST 944.

Roger P. Soule wrote at 2015-03-02 00:10:43
The 506th did in fact help shoot down a Japanese attack plane while waiting to land on Iwo.  They were on LST84.  This information came from a 506th AA Army vet which my dad had served with on the island.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=albert+gallo+memories&FORM=VIRE1#view=detail&mid=  

Richard V. Horrell wrote at 2015-03-04 16:46:26
Dear Mr. Soule,

Thank you for your __?__?__.  I'm not quite sure why you provided me with this __?__?__, since it was an individual named "Rod" that seem to have a great deal of interest.  Regardless, thank you for your shared interest about WW 2.

Richard V. Horrell

WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell