Military History/European Battle

Hello Isaac.
What was the largest battle in Europe in the 99 years between Waterloo and WW I, excluding the Crimean War?

The largest battles fitting the given criteria that I know of are the Battle of Königgratz [1866] (221,000 Prussians & Allies Vs. 206,000 Austrians & Allies)* and the Siege of Paris [1870-1871] (250,000 Prussians & Allies Vs. 500,000 French)*. Although the Siege of Paris is technically larger, 380,000 of the French troops were untrained-last-minute-recruits. The answer depends on wither or not you want to qualify a siege as a "land battle" or not.

So, final answer either the Siege of Paris or the Battle of Königgratz.

*Both numbers are cited from S. C. Tucker's Battles that Changed History

Military History

Isaac Edmondson

Topics on which I can provide answers: European warfare and military affairs from 1600 to 1950. Israeli / Islamic conflicts from 1900 to present day. Areas of particular interest/knowledge: The German Peasant’s War. Hannover and Brunswick during the Napoleonic wars. Armor (Tanks) during the first and second world wars. Topics best left to other experts: Military history of Eastern Asia, Sub-Saharan Africa, South America and India.

Numerous (not for publishing) papers written on relevant topics and countless pleasant hours spent researching.

Currently enrolled at the University of Maine