Military History/Troop Transport via RMS Queen Elizabeth Or Queen Mary

Question
QUESTION: Dear Mr. Horrell,

Thank you so much for making your expertise available via this site.

My father was in the 101st Airborne and wounded during the Battle of the Bulge in December 1944. I am pretty sure he told me he was transported back to the states in January 1945 via the Queen Elizabeth for further treatment here in the states. He was released from treatment in December 1945 or January 1946.

Is it possible to narrow down a date for his transport? I don't have his records available to me at the present time, only a few things jotted down by my parents and my poor memory.

I do know they met at McGuire Hospital in Richmond, Va. about July 1945, but I don't know where he was hospitalized prior to that time. My mother was his nurse while he was receiving the newly in use experimental drug, penicillin.

Thank you very much for any help you can offer!

ANSWER: Good Day,
  Thank you for your question.  Also, THANK YOU for referring to me as "Mr. Horrell".  Good manners NEVER go out of style.
  In your question you typed "Is it possible to narrow down the date for his transport?"  Lucky for us, the RMS Queen Elizabeth made only one Atlantic Crossing from Great Britain to the USA in January 1945.

Departure Date:   January 20, 1945
Departure Location:   Gourock, Scotland
Troop Ship:   RMS Queen Elizabeth
Arrival Date:   January 26, 1945
Arrival Location:   New York Port of Embarkation
    3,500 Troops onboard

So your father was a Screaming Eagle.  Considering his experience during Christmas 1944, EVERY Christmas at your home was VERY, VERY special.  

In awe,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502

QUESTION: Dear Mr. Horrell,

I thank you so much for your detailed and empathetic response to my initial question.

I believe, however, that I may have made a mistake about the ship my father returned on. I think it may have been the Queen Mary instead of the Queen Elizabeth. My memory is not the best and my parents have both passed.

I later found some notes written by my mother wherein she states that my father was wounded January 15th and shipped out January 31st, 1945. She stated she thought he'd had some surgery before departure.

I'm very sorry to have to revisit this question, and I appreciate your patience with me. Would these dates my mother wrote coincide with transport on the Queen Mary?

Thank you very much in advance!

Answer
Happy Holidays,
       I am so pleased to have a follow-up from you.  Hopefully this response will help to clarify & not muddy the waters further.
       The operative date & troop ship is January 31, 1945 & RMS Queen Mary.  The following are the facts we have to deal with:

Departure Date:   January 24, 1945
Departure Location:   New York Port of Embarkation
Troop Ship:   RMS Queen Mary
Arrival Date:   January 30, 1945
Arrival Location:   Gourock, Scotland

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Departure Date:   February 5, 1945
Departure Location:   Gourock, Scotland
Troop Ship:   RMS Queen Mary
Departure Date:   February 11, 1945

As you can read, the RMS Queen Mary was at anchor on January 31, 1945.  Therefore, the RMS Queen Mary's voyages do not match up that your father "shipped out January 31, 1945."  
       Would you be so kind to provide me with ALL THE DATES typed in Box #36 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents?  Starting with those FACTS should aid in further accurate historic research.
       Now then, how sure are you that the troop ship that brought your father back to the USA was the RMS Queen Mary?  The reason I ask is that there is another troop ship that departed quite close in time to "January 31, 1945."  Please read the following:

Departure Date:   February 1, 1945
Departure Location:   Liverpool, England
Troop Ship:   RMS Pasteur
Arrival Date:   February 9, 1945
    1,449 Troops onboard

As I have typed, providing me with ALL THE DATES typed in Box #36 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents will help to clarify the situation.

Still in awe,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     2011 Richard Jones Road
      Apt      E 26
       Nashville   TN   37215-3827

Military History

Richard V. Horrell