Military History/1885th Engineer Aviation Battalion

Question
My dad was in the 1885th. He talked about Guam and Okinawa and also said they were off the coast of Iwo Jima but could not land due to heavy fighting and fear of sub attack. They left Iwo and went to another island before going on to Okinawa...Can you enlighten me? Also, do you have access to their battalion insignia? They cleared  an airfield by hand shovel and helmet in 72 hours and were awarded a Presidential Citation....What island?

Answer
Dear Sir,
  Thank you for your question.  May I suggest that you refer to my previous reply as per the 1885th Engineer Aviation Battalion on October 5, 2011.  That will illustrate to you the quantity of FACTS I have about the unit.
  In your question you typed "Can you enlighten me?"  No, I cannot.
  In your question you typed "do you have access to their battalion insignia?"  No, I do not
  In your question you typed "and were awarded a Presidential Citation".  I can find no record of the 1885th Engineer Aviation Battalion being awarded a Presidential Unit Citation.  In my reply of October 5, 2011, I indicated that the 1885th Engineer Aviation Battalion was awarded a Meritorious Unit Commendation, but that is not the same as a Presidential Unit Citation.
  Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502

Military History

Richard V. Horrell