Military History/Albert S Kelley

Question
QUESTION: Mr Horrell

My father Albert S Kelley served from May 15th 1944 to Dec 16th 1945. I have his discharge record and his separation qualification record. He was in Battery A 192nd FA Battalion of the 43rd Infantry Division. He was a gun crewman med artillery 864 and was qualified as marksman carbine in Jul 1944. The only battle listed is Luzon. He had decorations and citations: AP Theater Ribbon, One Bronze Service Star, American Theater Ribbon, World War II Victory Ribbon and a Good Conduct Medal. He also was issued a Lapel Button ASR Score (2 Sep 45) 62.His summary of military occupation states that he supervised the duties of 6 gun crewman. He was PVT for 3 months FA basic training (521), TEC 5 as Cook (060) for 5 months and TEC 5 Gun Crewman Med Artillery for 11 months.
My question is: is it possible to get replacement medals and if possible I would like more information about the specific part of the battle this group fought in. Basically Iím looking for any information to put in Dadís family history. Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you
Lois

ANSWER: Dear Ms.,
       Thank You for your question.  Also, THANK YOU for referring to me as "Mr. Horrell".  Good manners NEVER go out of style.
       In your question you typed "is it possible to get replacement medals".  Yes. I suggest you contact the Congressperson that represents you in Washington, DC (NOT the person that represents you at the state capital in Nashville).  You may wish to visit their local office in your district.  Take along photocopies of your father's Discharge Documents, so you have the documentation for your request.  Your Congressperson has a liaison person with the VA, so this is a common request by family for their loved one's that served in the military.
       There is one additional medal your father is entitled to that is not listed on his Discharge Documents.  It is the Philippine Presidential Unit Citation, awarded to those men assigned to the 192nd Field Artillery Battalion, Connecticut National Guard, that participated in the liberation of The Philippines.  Here are the particulars:  Department of the Army; General Order #47; awarded 1950.
       In your question you typed "I would like more information about the specific part of the battle this group fought in."  First of all, it would be best to refer to the unit as a battalion & not a "group"  A Field Artillery "group" is different that a Field Artillery Battalion.
       The Veterans of the 43rd Infantry Division published a good unit history after the war:

The History of the 43rd Infantry Division, 1941-1945
by Joseph E. Zimmer

Battery Press in Nashville, TN has done an EXCELLENT job reprinting the unit history, so you may wish to look into purchasing the reprint.
       Since your father entered the US Army May 15, 1944 & participated in the Luzon Campaign, he was a replacement to the 192nd.  This is not good nor bad, just a historic FACT to understand.  I wish you had provided me with ALL the dates typed in Box #36 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents.  With those FACTS I may have been able to provide you with the names of the Troop Ships your father sailed upon, as well as where your father was located prior to January 9, 1945 at Lingayen Gulf, Luzon, Philippine Islands.  Regardless, your father certainly saw more than his share of combat during the Luzon Campaign,
December 15, 1944-July 4, 1945.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Sincerely,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502  

QUESTION: Thank you so much for the quick respons and the wonderful information. It is a generous thing you do to help veteran's and their families. Thank you for this.
Dad's army serial # is 34990754 and these are the dates in box 36.

date of departure    distination    date of arrival

8 Apr 45          AP          13 May 45
8 Oct 45          US          19 Oct 45

Sorry I did not include this the 1st time.
Thank you again
Lois

Answer
Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  When I have provided someone with the name of a troop ship that their loved one was a passenger upon, it is after I have obtained three separate sources for FACTS about the particular voyage, one a Primary Source.  For your father's voyage overseas, I only have two sources.  In my OPINION, your father was a passenger onboard the USS General M.L. Hersey  AP-148 when he sailed from the San Francisco Port of Embarkation to The Philippines in April/May 1945.
       Once your father arrived in The Philippines & assigned to the 192nd Field Artillery Battalion, Connecticut National Guard, he spent his time training at Camp LaCroix, near Cabanatuan, Luzon, The Philippines.  
       Departing Manila, Luzon, The Philippines on September 7, 1945, your father arrived at Yokohama, Japan September 13, 1945.  Spending less than a month with the Occupation Forces, your father departed Yokohama, Japan October 8, 1945.  Some of the men assigned to the 192nd were onboard the USS Catron  APA-71, while the rest of the 192nd were onboard the USS Grundy  APA-111.  Which APA your father was onboard, I do not know.  Regardless, both ships arrived at the San Francisco Port of Embarkation October 19, 1945.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Sincerely,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502

Military History

Richard V. Horrell