Military History/bayonets

Question
I have multiple bayonets from my father & grandfather which I believe are  from the civil war, WWI and a knife from WWII. I have pictures of all, including close ups of their markings that I can send. I want to find out the make & history of these pieces & if they are of any value. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Answer
The first one is the US Mk II Utility Knife.  It is of the same pattern as the Marine Corp K-bar fighting knife, but with a blakelite scabbard, where the K-Bar had a leather one.  The Mark I was in a leather scabbard with a more conventional blade pattern and was shorter.  Some of the Mark IIs came with a smooth leather grip made of leather washers as is yours, but it is beveled just like the K-bar.  Since the Marines were part of the Navy, it is probable that for cost savings they just decided to use the one design at some time later in the war.  The RCC stands for Remington Cutlery Company which was bought by the PAL Blade and Tool Company (Plattsburg, N.Y.) shortly before WWII. PAL continued with the Remington line, including marking the blade with the old Remington numbering identification - "RH" for Remington Hunting-followed by a model number. The RH-36 had a six-inch blade and the RH-37 had a seven-inch blade.  The sheaths were usually made by a separate company.

The triangle bayonets appear to be  a British Pattern 1895 British Enfield bayonets  Some tips I found on a bayonet webpage are:

Check the Muzzle Ring Diameter as the Pattern 1876 is larger at 23/32nd of an inch or 18 mm, where as the Pattern 1895 is smaller at 21/32nd of an inch or 17 mm.
The Pattern 1895 was introduced for the Martini Enfield Rifles Mark 1 and 11 with the smaller diameter .303 barrels and the higher front sight post. They were converted from the Pattern 1876 by replacing the socket entirely. The scabbard is identical to the Pattern 1876 and are interchangable.
When the bayonet is laid on a table you will notice the socket stirrup stands vertical and when fitted to the rifle hangs vertically under the barrel. Most were used in the Colonies and today
not often found in the UK and ZA.

The markings are as follows.  The Crown indicates British, the intials under the crown were those of the reigning monarch at the time it was made.  E for Edward, ER for Edward VII 1901 to 1910.  VR Victoria 1837 – 1901  The B on the one should probably be an E sloppy stamping I guess, too many pints a lunch?
The hat mark bisected by a vertical line or up arrow is the Government Acceptance mark.  
The X bisected is Surplus or sold out of service mark.
The single two digit number is the date of manufacture 73 – 1873, 70 – 1870 80 – 1880
The 217 could be month and year.  Feb 1817.
There are a lot of variations.  Go to this site they have tables for all the British bayonet markings both for those made in the UK and the colonies.

The US Model Springfield 1898 bayonet was made for the Krag Jorgenson rifle used during the Spanish American War.  Its interesting to note that the scabbard is almost identical to the one designed for the K98 Mauser, with the exception that the German version had a L shaped hanger on it to hold it in a leather frog that attached to the soldiers web gear.

The last is a Mauser Bayonet the Model S84/98 Second Pattern for the Mauser 98 service rifle.  This is a 1915 version as it has the slotted grip screws.  It has Kaiser Wilhelms of Prussia’s Cypher, imperial crown and was made in 1915 (15)  The other marks are proof and inspectors marks.
https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1038

http://worldbayonets.com/Bayonet_Identification_Guide/Germany__Imperial_/Germany

Military History

Keith H. Patton