Military History/Dad's unit and ship embarkation

QUESTION: I am looking for my dad's unit and the ship the he sailed on to go to North Africa in WWII.  His name is Frankie L. Pitts and his serial number is 18-061-441.  Box #36 has the date 14 Jan 1943 going to the EAMET.

also would like to know what ship he came back on.  The return date is 4-10-1945.

My dad passed away in 2008 and he was not well and could not help much.
any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.  I did sent off for his records, but they were part of the 1973 fire.

ANSWER: Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "I am looking for my dad's unit".  May I ask, what is typed in Box #6 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents?  Any unit typed in Box #32, Box #33 or Box #34?  How about any unit(s) typed on page three or page four of your father's Discharge Documents?
       In your question you typed "his serial number is 18-061-441."  As I recall, Serial Numbers that start with a "1" are for those who were members of the National Guard Federalized into the US Army.  What is typed in Box #5 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents?
       In your question you typed "Box #36 has the date 14 Jan 1943 going to the EAMET."  Please refer to the question I responded to on or about 12/29/2012 titled "Troop Ship Information".  Ironically, the same convoy.  Small world.
       In your question you typed "what ship he came back on.  The return date is 4-10-1945."  Respectfully, it is not clear to me whether "4-10-1945" is the date your father departed the ETO or arrived in the USA.  I will base my answer upon the former.

Departure Date:   April 10, 1945
Departure Location:   Naples, Italy
Troop Ship:   USS Wakefield   AP-21
Arrival Date:   April 20, 1945
Arrival Location:   Boston Port of Embarkation
    via the Straits of Gibraltar

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Departure Date:   April 10, 1945
Departure Location:   Liverpool, England
Hospital Ship:   USAHS Dogwood
Arrival Date:   _____?_____
Arrival Location:   Charleston, South Carolina Port of Embarkation

If I had access to the FACTS typed in Box #32 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents that may have helped in determining which of the two ships listed.  Also, the FACTS in Box #34 may have helped.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502   

QUESTION: Thanks for your response.  I only have my Dad's DD214.  Is there more than that?  Where would I find them?
In box 6 is Co I 276 Infantry APO 461.  There are no units in box 32, 33 or 34.  I do not have pages 3 or 4.
My Dad enlisted when he was 17 on Jan 3, 1942 in Houston, Texas.  He had to have his parents sign for him.
His DD214 date for overseas is Jan 14, 1943 arriving on Jan 27, 1943 for EAMET.  He said that he left from New York and that the battleship Texas was part of the convoy and that a sub was sunk along the way.
He departed ETO on Oct 4, 1945 and arriving USA on Oct 9, 1945.  He said that he left from England and that he thought it was on the queen Mary, but I don't know.
I have looked up the 276th and that is part of the 70th division, but that division did not enter the war till later, I think in 1944.  I think he was put in this dvision at the end to come back since he had a 98 ASR on his DD214.  It is my understanding that they took men who's ASR score was over 85 and put the in other units to ship back home when the war ended.

Again thanks for you help.

ANSWER: Dear Sir,
       I am confused.  On January 5, 2013 you typed "what ship he came back on.  The return date is 4-10-1945."  On January 11, 2013 you typed "He departed ETO on Oct. 4, 1945 and arriving USA on Oct. 9, 1945."  So, when did your father return to the USA, April 1945 or October 1945?
       Also, the term "DD214" is post-WW 2.  What you are utilizing are your father's Discharge Documents, WD AGO Form 53-55, dated November 1, 1944.

Confused & Perplexed,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

QUESTION: Sorry, it was October.  The way the date is listed on the form, you are correct on the form number, is 4-oct-1945.  
I really appreciate your help!

Dear Sir,
       Departure Date:     October 4, 1945
       Departure Location:     Southampton, England
       Troop Ship:     RMS Queen Elizabeth
       Arrival Date:     October 10, 1945
       Arrival Location:     New York Port of Embarkation

Richard V. Horrell
   WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell

Can answer: World War Two. Specifically, the troop transport ships that took US Military Personnel overseas & returned them to the US, 1941-47. Also, unit history of US Army QM, Signal, MP, Ordnance, Medical, Transportation & Engineer units that served during WW 2. The more obscure units are my specialty. If you have the APO that a Veteran sent letters from or received letters at, I can look up the history of that APO.

A lifelong study of WW 2, including participation as a WW 2 Re-enactor, 1980-2002. Also, interviewing over 400 WW 2 Veterans about their role in WW 2.

AASLH, Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society

Over 800 Profiles that I have written for client's about their loved one's role in WW 2.

BA, History & Political Science (19th & 20th Century European History) Webster University, Webster Groves, MO.

Assisting the National Archives on numerous occasions during the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of WW 2, 1991-95.

Respectfully, I do not disclose the names of the clients I deal with. I have a confidentially agreement with them.