Military History/NY's 79th Regiment Co. E (May to Dec. 61) Co. D thereafter until

John Fischer wrote at 2014-01-09 18:13:45
Hello - my name is John Fischer and I am a g-g-grandnephew of Garrett Odell Vanderbeck. I have been to a couple of these Memorial Day ceremonies at Greenwood and have researched Garrett. Garrett was a sharpshooter, or so I have been told by a descendant of the man who married Garret's wife after Garret died. In addition he was the color bearer and got paid more for being so. Another cousin from Florida actually sent me an original pay receipt of his. I don't believe he did anything exceptional, and I am not sure why you are led to believe this. Perhaps there was a bit of embellishment at the service. He then worked as an engineer and died in 1887 as a relatively young man. It is interesting to note that when he joined the service he listed his age as ten years more than it was. He was born in 1842 and not 1832.  

Military History

Marc Leepson

I can answer most questions dealing with all aspects of U.S. military history. My expertise is the Vietnam War. I also have written extensively about the U.S. Civil War, World War II, World War I, The Philippine War, and the American Revolution. My books include a concise biography of the Marquis de Lafayette, the history of the American Flag, and the post-Jefferson history of Monticello, and therefore know a great deal about those specific subjects. I specialize in writing about matters of strategy--not tactics. And I also am interested in personalities. I have very little knowledge about ordnance or the value of old military memorabilia. Nor do I know a lot about uniforms and insignia--except about the Vietnam War. To repeat: I have no expertise in assessing the value of ordnance or uniforms or any type of military equipment. And my knowledge about military uniforms is only limited to those of the Vietnam War era. If you have questions on these topics, I recommend contacting an antiques dealer in your area who specializes in military uniforms, ordnance, etc.

Author and journalist with more than 35 years' experience.

Authors Guild BIO International

New York Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Baltimore Sun, Chicago Tribute, New York Newsday, the Arizona Republic, St. Petersburg Times, Detroit News. Magazines: Smithsonian, Preservation, The VVA Veteran, Vietnam, Civil War Times, America's Civil War, Military History, World War II. Editor: The Webster's New World Dictionary of the Vietnam War

BA, 1967, George Washington University, History MA, 1971, George Washington University, European History

Vietnam Veterans of America Excellence in the Arts Award, 2011

Vietnam Veterans of America