Military History/Grandfathers WW2 History.

Question
My Grandfather Theron A. Corliss Army Serial number 31 467 424 served with Company B 401st Engineers Combat Battalion during WW2. I have tried to locate his 201 File with no luck. His DD 214 and report of separation paperwork seems to have alot of blanks on it. I've reconstructed his Class A uniform with some missing patches and awards that i'm having a very difficult time locating. I'd really like to have his uniform decorated 100% to speck that would represent what he earned from his time in service. Did earn a CIB? Was he or his unit involved in any battles or campaynes? What did his unit patch look like? Any help would be great.  Respectfully Jason Corliss Pittston Maine

Answer
Dear Jason,
         The 401st Engineer Combat Battalion was formed in Borgo di Basono, Italy from the 1st Battalion, 19th Engineer Regiment on 1 March 1945. It is credited with the following campaigns: North Apennines and Po Valley. The unit left Hampton Roads Port of Embarkation on 24 August 1945 per Shipment #R0488-D (scheduled to South West Pacific Area) but was returned to the United States while at sea. Inactivated on 6 December 1945 at Camp Polk, Louisiana. You can find out your grandfather's decorations by contacting the Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, Missouri and the Modern Military Records Section of the National Archives in Washington, D.C. Information on unit patches can be obtained from the U.S. Army Center of Military History located in Carlisle, Pennsylvania and the U.S. Army Institute of Heraldry located at Fort Eustis, Virginia. I hope this helps and May God Bless-Lt. Colonel Robert A. Lynn, Florida Guard  

Military History

LTC Robert A. Lynn, Florida Guard