Military History/Identify French Military Uniform

Question
Pierre Hunzinger
Pierre Hunzinger  
Can you please help identify the uniform in this hand-colored portrait of my 3x great grandfather, Pierre (Peter) Hunzinger? He was born in 1812 in Petersbach, Bas-Rhin, Alsace, France and definitely emigrated to Tremont, Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania, United States after February 1846 but before 1850. Family history contends that he was a bodyguard for Napoleon III, which couldn't be true based on the dates. However, it is possible that he may have served in the military during the July Monarchy or under the Second Republic (the latter featuring Louis-Napoleon Bonaparte). There's a clue in the hand-written text below the portrait itself, but I am unable to decipher it. The coloring may have been added after the fact. I understand that the coloring was, at the very least, "touched up" by a family member. In addition to helping identify the uniform (branch, rank, etc.), perhaps you could help explain its purpose (memento, postcard home to family, etc.)? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Answer
Sorry, I do not know it. But I will ask my friend Lt. Col. S. Bojerud. He has a wide knowledge of this subject. If he knows anything I'll come back to you. OK?

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

I have talked with Col. Bojerud. He is of the opinion that this is a standard card given to the soldiers as a memory of their national military service (conscription). So the picture itself does not give us much help, But the text of the card does help us. It tells us that he was a soldier in the 45th line regiment and its Lesony Company (some armies and regiments have the habit of giving individual names to for example companies). We know that he was born in 1812. So his military service should be around 1832 or so. That was during the July Monarchy. We already have his name. If you contact the military attaché of the French Embassy in Washington D.C. (the embassy does have a web page and of course a phone no.) the embassy will probably based on the information above be able to give you much more information of your ancestor's military service. French military records are usually excellent! Good luck!

Military History

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.