Military History/Military History- WW 2

Question
QUESTION: Dear Mr. Horrell,
I have been researching my late father's WWII participation history.
PFC Roger A. Carlson 82nd Airborne HQCO 1st BN 505th PIR, ASN-36642133. I am interested in obtaining information about his training, European Campaigns, and post war activities.  
In particular, I do know that he was part of the Army of Occupation post WWII, Berlin, but wonder if he was a member of the elite Honor Guards.
I have scanned all of the documents he held, including his Discharge Papers and a couple of APO #'s- 469 & 755.  I would be pleased to email all that I have if it would aid you in my quest for answers. Thank you.

ANSWER: Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your question.  Also, THANK YOU for referring to me as "Mr. Horrell".  Good Manners NEVER go out-of-style.
       I am experiencing difficulty processing the enormity of what you ask, since your father was a "Fugitive From the Law of Averages" (that is a compliment in 82nd Airborne Division circles).  I assume you have no idea who your father was, except "dad".  That is OK, but to the rest of us that research WW 2, members of the 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment are GODS!  No other US Army Parachute Unit made FOUR COMBAT JUMPS during WW 2.  All I can type is, I am in awe to have this opportunity.  (focus)
       There are two books that you MUST read:

"Ready"
by Allen L. Langdon
Indianapolis        Western Newspaper Publishing Company        1986

Four Stars of Valor
by Phil Nordyke
St. Paul, MN        Zenith Press          2006

There are other books to also read about the 505th, but these two are THE best, & cover the unit IN DEPTH.
       APO 469 was the APO for the 82nd Airborne Division during WW 2.  APO 755 was the APO for US Air Command.  I have the dates & locations for both these APO & would be eager to make photocopies available to you.
       I notice that you reside in The Volunteer State, as do I.  Maybe you are near enough to Music City that we could meet in a public location to discuss your father further.  It would be an honor for me to enlighten you as to your father's role in WW 2.  After all, he is a "Fugitive From the Law of Averages".

In awe,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502  

QUESTION: Dear Mr. Horrell,
Thank you for your quick response, and the titles of the books.  It did not pass my notice that you reside in Nashville.  I am mere minutes away in Franklin.  I would be thrilled to meet with you at your earliest convenience to share my father's information. Perhaps you could clarify a puzzling recent discovery.  Is it true that the 82nd's last airborne operation was Market-Garden, 17 September 1944, which involved air assault operations over Holland?  If this is correct, my dad may never have jumped into battle because he arrived in Europe Sept. 25, 1944? His Parachutist training took place in Sherwood Forrest, England, and was completed 14 Oct. 1944.  He volunteered for greater pay! I do know that he participated in 3 campaigns: Ardennes, Rhineland(, Central Europe. Please contact me anytime:   or .  It would be my privilege to meet you.  Sincerely, sally c

Answer
Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  It would be an honor to meet you also.  You have my mailing address, which is about all ALLExperts graciously allows me to place on their web site.  Please send me a post card via First Class USPS with your contact information so that I can set up a meeting with you at your convenience.
       Yes, Operation MARKET-GARDEN was the final time during WW 2 when the 82nd Airborne Division went into combat via Vertical Envelopment.  If your father arrived in the ETO September 25, 1944 your father was assigned to the 505th after the unit departed Holland & was sent to France.  While your father may have not made a combat jump, we have MUCH to discuss as per his role during the Battle of the Bulge, fought during the coldest European Winter of the 20th Century.
       I look forward to you contacting me via First Class USPS at your convenience.

Still in awe,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502

Military History

Richard V. Horrell