Military History/NY's 79th Regiment Co. E (May to Dec. 61) Co. D thereafter until

Question
I overheard a story last Memorial Day at Green-Wood Cemetery in Brooklyn,NY during a memorial service honoring soldiers interred there and in the story being told there was mention of one Garrett Odell Vanderbeck who served as a sharpshooter (sniper?) during his service in the US Civil War and that his actions were "very notable".  I was curious to learn more about his service and what actions he was specifically 'notable' for, but couldn't find anything beyond a basic service record that indicated the following:
He served in New York's 79th Regiment (The Highlanders) Co. E (May '61 to Dec. '61) then transferred to Co. D and served thereafter until mustering out on May 31, 1864.  
So my question is; Is Garrett Odell Vanderbeck recorded in the annals of Civil War history as having done something notable during his service and if so, what specifically?

Thank you very much.

Answer
I am not a Civil War expert, but I did a bit of searching, including on two huge on-line newspaper databases (the Library of Congress's Chronicling America and genealogybank.com for Vanderbeck and didn't come up with anything.

My only suggestion would be that you try to find his service record. Civil War service records are in the National Archives in Washington, D.C.

Military History

Marc Leepson