Military History/Ship taken to Europe

Question
QUESTION: I would like to know the name of the troop ship my father (Augustus Watts, aka A. A. Watts) took from the U.S. to Europe.  According to military records he departed to Europe on 29 May 1944.  At that time records show he was a captain and CO of the 582 Port Company.  The 582nd was reportedly in Crookston, just outside Glasgow, Scotland on 31 June 1944.  

My working theory is his ship left from New York and went to Scotland.  I have personal correspondence that corroborates his presence in Scotland, and I believe he arrived on or about 7 July 1944.  I have a hand baggage tag stating movement No. R-6220-P, FROM Kale, TO Steamroller.  Obviously these names are code words for the actual locations.

Also do you have any records of dates the 582nd went to southern England and ultimately to Utah Beach and Cherbourg. Thank you very much for any information you are able to provide.

ANSWER: Dear Sir,
       Thank You for your question.  In it you typed "he departed to Europe on 29 May 1944."  Based upon what you have typed, in my OPINION your father could have been on one of the following Troop Ships:

Departure Date:   May 29, 1944
Departure Location:   New York Port of Embarkation
Troop Ship:   RMS Pasteur
Arrival Date:   June 5, 1944
Arrival Location:   Liverpool, England

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Departure Date:   May 30, 1944
Troop Ship:   RMS Queen Elizabeth
Arrival Date:   June 5, 1944
Arrival Location:   Gourock, Scotland

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Departure Date:   May 30, 1944
Departure Location:   New York P of E
Troop Ships:   RMS Tamaroa
         SS Exceller
         SS Santa Barbara
Arrival Date:   June 11, 1944
Arrival Location:   Liverpool, England
    (except the SS Santa Barbara, which arrived at Avonmouth, England)

May 29, 1944 was the date your father no longer stood on American soil.  The troop ship he boarded on May 29, 1944 may have sailed on May 29, 1944 or May 30, 1944.  Without ALL the dates in Box #32 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents I can only type my OPINION.
       In your question you typed "I believe he arrived on or about 7 July 1944."  As you can read from what I have typed, the longest voyage of a troop ship at that time from an East Coast P of E to the ETO was 12 days.
       The only additional FACTS I can provide you with is that the 582nd Port Company, assigned to the 11th Port, participated in two Campaigns in the ETO, 1944-45:

Normandy          June 6-July 24, 1944
Northern France   July 25-September 14, 1944

Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502

QUESTION: Thanks so very much for your response.

My father's certificate of service states date of departure, 29 May 44, arrival England 7 Jun 44.  It also states, Battles and Campaigns: Normandy Campaign, and Northern France Campaign.

Regarding the Normandy Campaign, do the dates for the campaign, 6 June - 24 July 1944, mean that my father was actually in France on or before the 24 July date in order to qualify for having participated in that campaign?  I have no records as to when he actually went to France.

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank You for your follow-up.  In it you typed "Regarding the Normandy Campaign, do the.......qualify for having participated in that campaign?"  Yes.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell