Military History/Theron A Corliss

QUESTION: My grandfather served during WW2 with the 401st Engineer Combat Battalion out of Ft Devens Mass. Army ser# 31 467 424. He also served with 547th Co 110th Replacement Battalion in Italy. I'm having a hard time researching unit history in order to preserve his Class A uniform with the correct ribbons and metals he would have earned. Please and thank you for any help. respectfully Jason Corliss Pittston Maine

ANSWER: Service records for WW II are available for next of kin. The info is at the following URL:

You should be able to find what you need there.
Good luck

QUESTION: I was hoping you could provide me with information of his unit(s) involvement in WW2.

Try this website for the 401st:

As for the replacement battalion, I couldn't find much. You might want to go to the web site of the Army Center of Military History and see what you can come up with.  

Military History

Marc Leepson

I can answer most questions dealing with all aspects of U.S. military history. My expertise is the Vietnam War. I also have written extensively about the U.S. Civil War, World War II, World War I, The Philippine War, and the American Revolution. My books include a concise biography of the Marquis de Lafayette, the history of the American Flag, and the post-Jefferson history of Monticello, and therefore know a great deal about those specific subjects. I specialize in writing about matters of strategy--not tactics. And I also am interested in personalities. I have very little knowledge about ordnance or the value of old military memorabilia. Nor do I know a lot about uniforms and insignia--except about the Vietnam War. To repeat: I have no expertise in assessing the value of ordnance or uniforms or any type of military equipment. And my knowledge about military uniforms is only limited to those of the Vietnam War era. If you have questions on these topics, I recommend contacting an antiques dealer in your area who specializes in military uniforms, ordnance, etc.

Author and journalist with more than 35 years' experience.

Authors Guild BIO International

New York Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Baltimore Sun, Chicago Tribute, New York Newsday, the Arizona Republic, St. Petersburg Times, Detroit News. Magazines: Smithsonian, Preservation, The VVA Veteran, Vietnam, Civil War Times, America's Civil War, Military History, World War II. Editor: The Webster's New World Dictionary of the Vietnam War

BA, 1967, George Washington University, History MA, 1971, George Washington University, European History

Vietnam Veterans of America Excellence in the Arts Award, 2011

Vietnam Veterans of America