Military History/WW 2, 10th Armored Div., 20th Armored Infantry Battalion

Question
QUESTION: Mr. Horrell,

I am researching my fathers unit during action in WW2/Europe and I have the following question. Can you tell me if Company A of the 20th armored infantry battalion/10th Armored Division was deployed in or near Bastogne in December 1944? (CCB command, Col. Roberts).
He stated many times during his life that he was in Bastogne during the seige. He was a member of the 20th armored infantry battalion of the 10th armored division. I have found many references to company C and Company B, but nothing of company A. He has "COA" listed on some of his correspondence and I took that to mean company A, but I may be wrong.
He was later taken prisoner outside of Trier on March 4, 1945 and escaped...eventually met uop with buddies fromn the 9th AD.

Thank you!

Steve Clougherty,
Father was PFC Charles T. Clougherty 20th AIB/10th Armored Division.

ANSWER: Dear Sir,
       Thank You for your question.  Also, THANK YOU for referring to me as "Mr. Horrell".  Good manners NEVER go out of style.
       In your question you typed "Can you tell me if.......near Bastogne in December 1944?"  Is the pope catholic?  Yes, Combat Command B, 10th Armored Division was in the goose egg surrounding Bastogne.  As the members of the 101st Airborne Division liked to say, "so they've got us surrounded, the poor bastards"
       May I suggest a superb reprint of an excellent unit history for you to obtain?

IMPACT
the battle story of the Tenth Armored Division
by Lester M. Nichols
Nashville, TN        The Battery Press, Inc.        2000

ISBN:  0-89839-303-5

May I also suggest another book that may be right up your alley?

The Battered Bastards of Bastogne
by George E. Koskimaki
Havertown, PA        Casemate        2003

ISBN:   1-932033-06-8

Of course, any book by my friend Mr. Koskimaki is a GOOD book.
       Considering how your father spent Christmas, 1944, I bet Christmas in your home as you grew up was EXTRA special.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502

QUESTION: Thanks so much for the prompt response MR. Horrell.
I do have one brief follow up question...
My father was a member of the 20th armored infantry battalion I believe company A but I could not find any refences to his unit in and around Bastogne. If he was not assigned to one of the "teams" (team Cherry, Desroby and so forth) Should I assume he was in the CCB reserve in Bastogne? Was the entire 20th AIB battalion in Bastogne?

Thanks you once again.

Steve Clougherty

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank You for your follow-up.  Due to the nature of the evolution of the defense of Bastogne, it is sometimes difficult to keep a precise tab on every man or vehicle within the goose egg.  CCB, 10th Armored Division was within the goose egg.  20th Armored Infantry Battalion was within the goose egg.  As you typed, the ad hoc Teams (Cherry, DeSobry, etc) further blurred the lines between one unit & the next.  That is why I suggested the two books that I did, to clear up some of the confusion that I use to experience as per who was within the goose egg.  Of course, there are other books that deal with the topic, but these two, for me at least, clarified all the questions I ever had.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell