Military History/WW 2 dump truck/engineer units

HI, I am trying to find any information on the 197th engineer dump truck company from WWII.  I believe they were in Normandy My grandfather was a Tec-5 from this unit and since he has passed I have vey little to go on but his military records and some pictures.  He was in service from Oct '43 until Mar '46.  He drove a 2 1/2 ton truck (I have pics of this and the unit) and also drove a 3/4 weapons carrier to transport POW's to work detail.  Later he was part of the 790th engineer petroleum distribution Company (only 2 months) where he drove officers around.  Haven't been able to find much about either of these units except 197th was part of the Cherbourg rehabilitation under Capt. Rolland L Horner and that one or both were possibly in Le Havre.
Thank you!

Dear Ms.,
       Thank You for your question.  Just so we are clear about the context of my reply, without a photocopy of your grandfather's Discharge Documents in hand for me to research from, I can only provide you with FACTS as per the units you listed.  My FACTS are about the units, NOT your grandfather.
       Commanded by Captain R.L. Horner, the 197th Engineer Dump Truck Company participated in two Campaigns in the ETO:

Normandy          June 6-July 24, 1944
Northern France    July 25-September 14, 1944

From my sources, the 197th was assigned to Comm Z (Communication Zone) the Logistical Support Entity for First Army, Third Army, Ninth Army & Fifteenth Army in the ETO, 1944-45.
       The 790th Engineer Petroleum Distribution Company participated in three Campaigns in the ETO:

Northern France
Rhineland        September 15, 1944-March 21, 1945

Commanded by Captain T.B. Miller, the 790th was attached to the 358th & 359th Engineer General Service Regiments to construct pipelines, storage tanks & pumping stations.  This would provide fuel to 12th Army Group as it raced across France, August-September 1944.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502

Military History

Richard V. Horrell

Can answer: World War Two. Specifically, the troop transport ships that took US Military Personnel overseas & returned them to the US, 1941-47. Also, unit history of US Army QM, Signal, MP, Ordnance, Medical, Transportation & Engineer units that served during WW 2. The more obscure units are my specialty. If you have the APO that a Veteran sent letters from or received letters at, I can look up the history of that APO.

A lifelong study of WW 2, including participation as a WW 2 Re-enactor, 1980-2002. Also, interviewing over 400 WW 2 Veterans about their role in WW 2.

AASLH, Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society

Over 800 Profiles that I have written for client's about their loved one's role in WW 2.

BA, History & Political Science (19th & 20th Century European History) Webster University, Webster Groves, MO.

Assisting the National Archives on numerous occasions during the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of WW 2, 1991-95.

Respectfully, I do not disclose the names of the clients I deal with. I have a confidentially agreement with them.