Military History/WW 2 info about my grandfather

I have heard stories that he told my mom about his time in the service, he was stationed in England 1943-46 was classified as Sgt. T/4, also he told her he was a secretary/chauffer at some point prior to D-day
I have attached a picture of the car he drove
I have been trying to find out the year/model
I would appreciate any info you could give me

ANSWER: Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "APO 8772".  Operational between February 1st & May 17th, 1943, APO 8772 was to handle the overflow (HEAVY volume) for APO 640.  Established August 1st, 1942, APO 640 was located at Sutton Coldfield, England during its entire existence.
       As to the automobile your grandfather, T-4 Leon Crippen drove, I am un-sure.  The angle of the photograph is a bit deceiving, but I am of the OPINION that the automobile is "Right Hand Drive".  As such, it is a British mfg. automobile, & I have no reference to check as per make nor model.  It was common for US Army Chauffeurs to drive British mfg. automobiles.  Captain Kay Summersby drove a British mfg. automobile for General Eisenhower.
       My apology for not providing you with the FACTS you desire.  Most regions in the USA have a British Car Collectors Club.  You may wish to find if your region does, then have one of the members look at your photograph to identify the automobile your grandfather drove.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502

uniform, Crippen
uniform, Crippen  
Sgt Crippen
Sgt Crippen  
QUESTION: I also found paperwork with Southampton Port of Embarkation, 1-12-46 signed L.R. Crippen T/4 35581312 1302 ENGRS APO 437

I know he was in London 4-16-45 I have a portrait of him with that date on the back
I am attaching this photo and also one of his jacket that my mom has
the patches on his shoulder is different and the jacket is a different style

I also have pictures from Salisbury, England (no date)
thankyou for answering my other questions so quickly

ANSWER: Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  In it you typed "1302 ENGRS APO 437"  The unit listed is the 1302nd Engineer General Service Regiment.  APO 437 was located at Southampton, England, October 30, 1945-October ___?___, 1946.
       As to the portrait of your grandfather (GREAT portrait) the shoulder patch is for the Army Service Forces.
       As to the jacket on the blue ___?___.  The shoulder patch is for COMM Z (Communication Zone) the logistical support entity in the ETO for US First, Third & Ninth Armies.  Patch above the right breast pocket indicates Honorable Discharge (Ruptured Duck) & the gold embroidered bars on the lower left sleeve indicate 2 1/2 years overseas (one bar = six months overseas).  
       If you wish to follow-up again, I request that you scan page two of your grandfather's Discharge Documents, then attach the scan to the next follow-up.  I would prefer to establish basic FACTS such as unit prior to May 8, 1945, voyage overseas & back to the USA, etc.  Page two of the Discharge Documents would help me do so.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502

southampton port of embarkment
southampton port of em  
QUESTION: these are the papers that I think are his discharge papers
there is also a small(business card sized)paper that I can't attach to this message
at the top it says notice of classification,
his name-LEON REYNOLDS CRIPPEN, Order No. 10,900 has been classified in Class 1-C Disc. (Until ______,19__)this was left empty
there is a box marked with an x that says-Local Board
the date on the bottom is Feb. 8,1946
on the reverse it says- LOCAL BOARD FULTON COUNTY, FEB. 8,1946,
a round stamp with the words- ROCHESTER,IND FEB.8,1946
under that-727 1/2 MAIN ST. ROCHESTER, IND
at the bottom it says- OFFICIAL BUSINESS
It is worn like he carried it in his wallet
thankyou again for your help

Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  No, these are not Discharge Documents.  Page two of your grandfather's Discharge Documents has the following printed in the lower left hand corner:

1 November 1944

There are 57 numbered boxes, each box with a FACT about your grandfather's service during WW 2:

Box #1     Name
Box #2     Army Serial Number
Box #3     Grade
Box #4     Arm or Service
Box #5     Component
Box #6     Organization

So on & so forth.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502

Military History

Richard V. Horrell

Can answer: World War Two. Specifically, the troop transport ships that took US Military Personnel overseas & returned them to the US, 1941-47. Also, unit history of US Army QM, Signal, MP, Ordnance, Medical, Transportation & Engineer units that served during WW 2. The more obscure units are my specialty. If you have the APO that a Veteran sent letters from or received letters at, I can look up the history of that APO.

A lifelong study of WW 2, including participation as a WW 2 Re-enactor, 1980-2002. Also, interviewing over 400 WW 2 Veterans about their role in WW 2.

AASLH, Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society

Over 800 Profiles that I have written for client's about their loved one's role in WW 2.

BA, History & Political Science (19th & 20th Century European History) Webster University, Webster Groves, MO.

Assisting the National Archives on numerous occasions during the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of WW 2, 1991-95.

Respectfully, I do not disclose the names of the clients I deal with. I have a confidentially agreement with them.