Military History/365th Army Combat Engineers

Question
I am trying to find out where my father was during world war 2 I know  that he was in Europe but just wanted to know if he was in D-day or ant other notiable battles.he inlisted in 1942,was at fort hood in ohio.his name is ralph iden smith,born dec.12 1913,in Indiana.his grave stone says he was a tech 5,sargent,us army,got discharged in dec.12 1945,any info would be great

Answer
Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your question.  In the subject area you typed "365th Army Combat Engineers".  I assume (something I am loathed to do) this is the unit that your father was assigned to while serving in the ETO.  Would you be so kind as to provide me with the source that your father was assigned to the "365th Army Combat Engineers"?
       In your question you typed that you "wanted to know if he was in D-day".  There is no list, by name, of those that participated in Operation OVERLORD (D-Day) for me to refer to.  Please refer to Box #33 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents.  If a Bronze Arrowhead is listed, then your father participated "in D-day".
       In your question you typed that your father's "grave stone says he was a tech 5, sargent".  If that is what is on your father's "grave stone", then the stone cutter made an error.  A Tech-5 (T-5) was a Corporal (two stripes) with the letter "T" beneath the stripes.  A "sargent" has three stripes, with no "T" beneath the stripes.  Two TOTALLY different Grade/Rank, so your father was one or the other.
       You are welcome to send to me, via First Class USPS, a photocopy of your father's Discharge Documents.  All four pages would be great, but page two is a must.  Please include your e-mail address, so that I may share with you all the FACTS I glean from the Primary Source Document.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     2011 Richard Jones Road
      Apt   E26
       Nashville   TN   37215

Military History

Richard V. Horrell