Military History/WWII

Question
My Father (Benito V. Rubio) served in WWII. He entered the in 1942 -1945. His DD214 says his unit was 979th Military police company. But I can't find any info on it. Can you tell me where the served during that time? Also it states his Battles and Campaigns were Rhineland Central Europe GO 33 WD 45. What does that mean? I also have a photo of him as a military Police and a document that says he was in the Air Corp but discharged in the Army as a PFC. Why are they different? Was the airforce and army together then separated? Just wanted to find out more info on my father to share with my children.

Thank you,
Michelle

Answer
Sorry to be just answering this, but I didn't get the usual email from ALLExperts till last night.

Just doing a little Google searching I saw that the 979th MP Company was in England (perhaps Sussex) and later in Weisbaden, Germany.

Here's a blog post on the GO 33 WD 45 info:
http://ww2tribute.blogspot.com/2013/03/meaning-of-go-33-wd-45-on-wwii-veterans.h

I would suggest you also contact the Army Center of Military History to try to get more info on both questions. The website is: http://history.army.mil

The Air Force was part of the Army in WWII. It was called the Army Air Corps. My guess is that he started in the Army, but his unit (or he) was moved into the Air Corps component of the Army. Again, this is something you could ask the folks at the Center of Military History.

Military History

Marc Leepson