Military History/202nd engineer combat bat.

Question
My dad was a member of 202nd at time of discharge.  What action did the 202nd see and on his discharge he was listed as h "height finder 692" can you explain what his duties might have been?

Thanks

Answer
It appears the 202nd landed at Normandy on D-Day and took part in many actions in France and Germany in the last year of the war. Here's a URL with a plaque that might be of interest: http://cherrieswriter.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/book-fair-chicago2.jpg?w=450

The way I understand it, height finders were guys whose job it was to measure the height of aircraft for surface to air artillery. But I could be wrong. You might want to check on that with the U.S. Army Center of Military History: http://www.history.army.mil

692 does not appear to be an MOS--a Military Occupational Specialty, the name of your job in the military. Virtually all Army MOSs have letters and numbers, such as 11B, combat infantryman.  

Military History

Marc Leepson