Military History/My Father's WW 2 Service

Question
My father served as a S/Sgt., Chief of Detail for Battery A of the 280th Field Artillery in the Army during WWII.  He arrived in France on Sept. 18, 1944 and served in Northern France, Rhineland, Ardennes, and Central Europe and returned to the States on Dec 13, 1945.  Would you be able to provide any additional details, and which unit of the VIII Army they supported?

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  Regrettably, the following are the only facts I could obtain about the 280th Field Artillery Battalion:

December 12 & 30, 1944     Assigned to XVI Corps, Ninth Army

February 6-March 12, 1945     Attached to the 84th Infantry Division, XIII Corps, Ninth Army

April 2-29, 1945     Attached to the 84th Infantry Division, XIII Corps, Ninth Army

April 30-May 7, 1945      Attached to the 82nd Airborne Division, XVIII Airborne Corps

May 17-31, 1945     Attached to the 83rd Infantry Division, XIII Corps, Ninth Army

Served in the Army of Occupation in Germany, May 2-September 4, 1945

In your question you typed "VIII Army".  It is unclear to me whether you are referring to VIII Corps or Eighth Army.  The VIII Corps served in the ETO, the Eighth Army served in the PTO.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell