Military History/Military history

Question
The major military operations, battles and campaigns, land and sea, of the Spanish American War. What weaknesses in both the U.S. Army and Navy did the war reveal?

Answer
Even though the U.S. won the war fairly easily, there were many weaknesses in the military, primarily the Army. There were big supply problems, including shortages of ammunition and medical supplies. We had a small standing army that was not ready for big-time warfare. We had to augment that army with National Guard troops, who were almost completely inexperienced. The Army also had racial problems, with tensions running high among the black and white troops as they mustered in the U.S. and deployed in Cuba.

On a larger scale, there was little good, coordinated strategic leadership within the U.S. military. Only the Navy, under George Dewey, worked effectively and efficiently.

Military History

Marc Leepson