Military History/WW 2 1282nd Engineer Combat Battalion

Question
QUESTION: A person named Barr asked if anyone had info on the ww2 1282nd combat engineer battalion. The answer given to him was a number of ships that left France for the Philippines. Also, the person responding wanted info regarding departure dates etc. My father was with the 1282nd and left Marsailes France on the SS Lurline with 4000 soldiers for a 34 day trip to Manila, Luzon etc. I recently came across his discharge papers and a ships newsletter that was printed on board during the trip. If anyone is interested I have info, departure dates, etc. I also have a large photo of company A 1282nd. taken at Camp Van Dorn.

ANSWER: Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "A person named Barr asked.......1282nd combat engineer battalion."  You may be 100% correct, but I have no knowledge it was me.  Regardless, it will be my pleasure to try to assist you.
       I am familiar with the SS Lurline transporting US Troops from the ETO to the PTO for Operation OLYMPIC-CORONET.  If you would care to, I would appreciate a photocopy of page two of your father's Discharge Documents.  That is the page with Box #36, providing dates your father went overseas, returned to the US, etc.  My mailing address will be at the end of this reply.  Also, a photocopy of the "ships newsletter" would be greatly appreciated.  Primary source documents are always a welcome source of facts.  Please include your e-mail address for ease of response.
       Good luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     2011 Richard Jones Road
      Apt   E 26
       Nashville   TN   37215-2837

QUESTION: Mr. Horrell, thank you for your reply. The son of a Harold D. Barr posted a question December 29, 2012 on Ancestry.com asking for any information regarding the 1282nd combat engineer battalion during WW2. The question was answered by you with details of the ships that left France for the Pacific theater. In your answer you asked for info in box #36 on his father's discharge papers. This is the information I have from my father's discharge papers. Departure 12/9/44 destination arrival ETO 12/21/44. Departure 7/21/45 destination arrival PTO 8/26/45.Departure 2/15/46 destination arrival USA 3/3/46. Is there any possibility to point me in the right direction or put me in touch with anyone that could provide me with information regarding where my father served in Europe during WW2. He was with company A 1282nd combat engineer battalion.
Sincerely,
Richard Cassettari

Answer
Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  The dates you provided are greatly appreciated.  My suggestion for where the 1282nd Engineer Combat Battalion served in the ETO is to contact:

US Army Heritage & Education Center
   950 Soldiers Dr
    Carlisle   PA   17013

Be as specific as you can with your question(s).  Providing specific questions brings better results.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     2011 Richard Jones Road
      Apt   E 26
       Nashville   TN   37215-2837

Military History

Richard V. Horrell