Military History/Farris, John L. #35 841 015 WW 2

Question
I corresponded with you 2 years ago. Now I have more information:

Organization on Honorable Discharge: Co C 62nd Armd Inf Bn

What I would like to know is this: What were my father's activities from disembarkation at LeHavre in November 1944, until he returned to US soil in June of 1945? I've found bits and pieces up through battle of Hatten-Rittershoffen, but lose him until June '45.

I know he was wounded but don't know when. I know the 14th Armored were later nicknamed the Liberators and would like to know if Dad's organization was involved in liberating any of the German camps
I would appreciate any additional information; you have been very helpful in the past.    LMorin

Answer
Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  In it you typed "I corresponded with you 2 years ago."  Respectfully, I do not recall my correspondence with you.  Two years is quite a long time for me, & I have had some serious health issues in 2013.  Memory is iffy sometimes, so I rely more & more on my personal WW 2 Library.
       In your question you typed "Now I have more information:"  May I have the source of your "information"?  Is what you are providing information or fact?
       In your question you typed "Organization on Honorable Discharge: Co C 62nd Armd Inf Bn".  Was this typed in Box #6 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents?
       In your question you typed "What I would like to know is.......lose him until June '45."  As to your father's activities, the source for that would be your father's Personnel File (NOT a DD-214).  Unfortunately, the odds are your father's Personnel File was destroyed at the Military Personnel Records Center, 9700 Page Avenue, St. Louis, Missouri, 63132 in July 1973.  If you wish to learn about the unit you believe your father was assigned [assigned] to, I suggest you read:

History of the 14th Armored Division
   by Captain Joseph Carter
  Atlanta, Georgia        Albert Love Enterprises        1946

In your question you typed "I know he was wounded but don't know when."  Assuming your father was an Enlisted Man, check Box #34 on page two of your father's Discharge Documents.
       In your question you typed "I know the 14th Armored.......any of the German camps".  You are correct, the 14th Armored Division was named "The Liberators" for the liberation of numerous Wehrmacht (Army) operated POW Camps, Luftwaffe (Air Force) operated POW Camps, Forced Labour Camps near Muhldorf & Ampfing & sub-camps of Dachau Concentration Camp.  So, NUMEROUS types of camps, with various typed of POWs & internees.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell