Military History/Service Medal Issued

My father served aboard the U.S.A.T. BORINQUEN during the European campaign from 8/42 to 8/43. I have a paper from the Commanding Officer of the Naval Armed Guard Center saying he was authorized a bronze star on his area ribbon for something that happened during that time.From what I can find,the ship was never under enemy fire, so what can you tell me about any incident[s] that may have happened to warrant a medal that prestigest.

Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed that your father "was authorized a bronze star on his area ribbon for something that happened during that time."  The "area ribbon" you describe is the European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Ribbon, also known as the E.T.O. (European Theater of Operation) Campaign Ribbon.  The "bronze star" (NOT a Bronze Star Medal for Valour) indicates a specific campaign that your father participated in.
       In your question you typed "to warrant a medal that prestigest [sic]."  Please understand, the "bronze star" is not a Bronze Star Medal for Valour, but a Bronze Campaign Star, to indicate participation in a specific campaign that your father participated in.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Happy Holidays,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections

Military History

Richard V. Horrell

Can answer: World War Two. Specifically, the troop transport ships that took US Military Personnel overseas & returned them to the US, 1941-47. Also, unit history of US Army QM, Signal, MP, Ordnance, Medical, Transportation & Engineer units that served during WW 2. The more obscure units are my specialty. If you have the APO that a Veteran sent letters from or received letters at, I can look up the history of that APO.

A lifelong study of WW 2, including participation as a WW 2 Re-enactor, 1980-2002. Also, interviewing over 400 WW 2 Veterans about their role in WW 2.

AASLH, Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society

Over 800 Profiles that I have written for client's about their loved one's role in WW 2.

BA, History & Political Science (19th & 20th Century European History) Webster University, Webster Groves, MO.

Assisting the National Archives on numerous occasions during the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of WW 2, 1991-95.

Respectfully, I do not disclose the names of the clients I deal with. I have a confidentially agreement with them.