You are here:

Military History/surgical mask, world war one


On Ebay, I purchased what is supposed to be a surgical mask from World War One. It covers the face, has a strap on the back and two eye holes.  Do you know if this was a type of mask used in WWI surgery or in the field (it's a U.S. item). Any information you have would be very helpful. Thanks, T. M.

Honestly, this is the first time I hear about these things and see them. Before you asked I was not aware that they exist. I know nothing about them but there is somewhere in the US a museum of military medical history. The Pentagon must know where it is and how to contact it. Ask the people there. They should know. Good luck!

You can also reach me at:
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

Military History

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.


I`m a retired Swedish military physician-surgeon with a big interest in military history - mainly European and especially of the Nordic-Scandinavian area. This also includes the history of military medicine.


A very long and intense personal interest.

Doctor of Medicine. You can also find me here on under these categories: I also answer questions in other categories: Oncology (General Cancer), General History, Brain Tumors, Breast Cancer, Colon Cancer

©2017 All rights reserved.