Military History/surgical mask, world war one

Question
mask
mask  
On Ebay, I purchased what is supposed to be a surgical mask from World War One. It covers the face, has a strap on the back and two eye holes.  Do you know if this was a type of mask used in WWI surgery or in the field (it's a U.S. item). Any information you have would be very helpful. Thanks, T. M.

Answer
Honestly, this is the first time I hear about these things and see them. Before you asked I was not aware that they exist. I know nothing about them but there is somewhere in the US a museum of military medical history. The Pentagon must know where it is and how to contact it. Ask the people there. They should know. Good luck!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

Military History

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.