Military History/World War I Company Selection

Question
Mr. Leepson,

I'm a 16 y/o high schooler currently writing a screenplay about American boys who enlist in World War I and most of them seeing the horrors of war. My question is, is or was it possible for boys from all the same town to selectively join the same company? I know it worked in All Quiet on the Western Front, but was it possible in America? Thanks!

-John

Answer
How many boys are you talking about? These things were possible for a group of friends, say four or five or six, and probably could have been worked out for a few more. The military had programs in which you could sign up on the "buddy system," meaning you and a buddy (or two or a few more) enlisted and they promised you'd train together and then be assigned to the same unit. That persisted through the Vietnam War era and beyond.

It looks like the Navy still has it. http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/navyjoin/a/navybuddy.htm

Military History

Marc Leepson