Military History/WWI uniform and

QUESTION: Attached is an image of my grandfather John Ziavras (born 1894 in Greece)wearing a WWI uniform. I have been unable to locate a photo of a similar uniform to identify his duties and rank.  Is this a navy uniform? Note the unusual cap with a white tassel and the gold buttons down the jacket.  

I discovered that he enlisted in Stamford, CT but could not find his record on  There is an indication that he enlisted with is 2 brothers and that his registration card may be #765 or #762.

He was wounded during service and collected disability until his death in 1970. Any suggestions?

Any information would be most helpful. Many thanks.

ANSWER: Hi Julie,
The picture did not come through.

John Ziavras c.1917
John Ziavras c.1917  
QUESTION: Please let me know if the photo comes through this time.

ANSWER: Hi again,
The picture did come through. I can not make out any detail on it.
First place see if service record is still available. Here where to start.
Many of the records were in fire in 1973.
You could also try Connecticut state archives .
You could also Stamford Historical Society.

Sorry I can not be of more help.

QUESTION: I thank you for your prompt response.  I have contacted per your suggestion.

I would like to provide you with some additional details regarding the attached photo that may help you identify his uniform.  

The cap has a straight cut, 3-4" high with a black brim and a white 4-5" tassel. There appears to be round or oval shaped medallion in the front above the brim. His uniform is single breasted with one row of gold gilt smooth (no design) buttons.  There are 3 buttons up the sleeve and straps on the shoulder with 2 buttons.  It has a high neck. The jacket is dark and the pants appear to be tan.

Do you know if this is army or navy, or perhaps if it is not his military uniform at all?

Thank you again for your time.

There is no unit branch or rank insignia that I can see. If its military uniform with brass buttons should have a design on it. The cap insignia is too blurry to id. Those are the details you need to see. The closest US uniform would be US Marine 3 buttons on the arms. That should have red trim. Might not be visible. It also could be something like railroad uniform. It could also be another nations uniform. I just can't tell from the picture. You might want have it blown up and bring it to a local historical society. See if they can pick up some details on it.

Military History

Paul Edward Zukowski

My interest is in the area US Military History. I have a special interest in US small arms. The Civil War, WWI and WWII are areas of special interest but I can handle questions on many areas of US military history.

I spent 2 years in Army ROTC and have been a military history buff most of my life. Does spending too much time watching the History Channel Count : )? Here is some general background information as a means of full disclosure. (it appears on all my profiles)
Life Experience
A general biography my fit more here so I offer the following. (it appears on on all my profiles) After all who we are affects our opinions or even inadvertently effect of statements of fact. I hold a AS from Eastern Conn. State Univ. and a BA from Trinity College, Hartford Ct. Plus 11 other professional certifications. I have received 31 awards for various activities. My writings published in ?The Other Voice? and other publications. I have had my original music published, licensed and recorded by David Kaye. I have been a guest on CyberRadio & TV and many other talk radio programs. I welcome interviews and I am willing to act as a technical advisor to various media. I am single and have resided in Hartford, Ct. since 1976. I have no children. I am a political conservative with libertarian leanings. I am a registered Republican. I am a Roman Catholic. I have worked in the following areas, entertainment, real estate, mortgage banking, and human services. I have owned 2 businesses. Some of my interests include politics, law, history, and current events.Hobbies I partake in include music, target shooting and cars (my Camaro rumbles) If you wish to find out more about me, feel free to visit my web page PEZmans World
You can find me in many other areas of

Current Events: U.S.
U.S. Politics
Legislation, Presidential & Congressional Politics
Military Policy & Weapons
Military History
U.S. History
Supreme Court Cases
Crime & Law Enforcement Issues & Death Penalty
Miscellaneous, Serial Murder, Rape, Arson and other sexually motivated crimes
2nd Amendment and Right to Bear Arms
Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports
Conspiracies & Extremism
Careers: Music
Hartford, Ct.
Trinity College, Hartford, Ct.
Eastern Connecticut State University

Organizations belong to

Cleo of AX Alpha Chi (former Alpha Chi Chapter of DKE)
National Rifle Association
Connecticut State Rifle and Revolver Assoc.
Windsor Marksman Assoc.
The Republican Party
The Roman Catholic Church
History of Hartford Project

Publications and Media Appearances

?The Other Voice? published articles.
?The Frogbelly Local? published articles.
?Hey Little Lady? {song} published Americord Records
Talk Radio appearances include;
Mornings with Ushi, CyberRadio & TV, Broadcast in Los Angles CA. worldwide via the internet.
The Lynda Mercer Show on Power Talk WULF 94.3 FM Radcliffe, Kentucky
The Allen Price Show on WRVA Newsradio 1140 AM Richmond, VA
and many more.
I have been a tech advisor to more than a dozen authors.

AS from Eastern Conn. State Univ.
BA from Trinity College
11 other professional certifications

I have received 31 awards and honors for various activities.