Military History/17th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron

Question
My grandfather was in the 17th Calvary Recon Squadron Troop B that served in WWII.   His date of entrance upon active duty was January 1942 I know that he served in Normandy Northern France Rhineland & Central Europe.  I would like to know specific details about his service & if he received special honors.  Where do I start to find out specifics?

Answer
Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your question.  In it you typed "I would like to know specific details about his service & if he received special honors.  Where do I start to find out specifics?"  I suggest that you start with your grandfather's Discharge Documents, & the source for the Discharge Documents is your family.
       Next, I would send a letter-of-request to:

National Personnel Records Center
1 Archives Drive
 St. Louis   MO   63138

to obtain your grandfather's Personnel File.  However, there was a fire at the previous location (9700 Page Avenue, St. Louis   MO)  in July 1973 that destroyed approximately 85% of all US Army Veteran Personnel File.  I always suggest that people send a letter-of-request.  After all, someone has to be in the LUCKY 15%!
       Next, I would send a letter-of-request to obtain the Unit Records of the "17th Calvary [sic] Recon Squadron".  (Please note, you are wishing to obtain unit records of a Cavalry unit, not where jesus was crucified)  Send your letter-of-request to:

US Army Heritage & Education Center
Carlisle Barracks   PA   17013-5050

and be as specific with your question(s) as possible.
       Good Luck with your quest.

Respectfully,
   Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502

Military History

Richard V. Horrell