Military History/1st Infantry Div. 26th Infantry Regt. - info on soldier KIA during WWII

QUESTION: Dear Mr. Horrell,
I am writing to inquire if you might be able to assist me in researching information about my wife's grandfather who was killed in action during WWII. His name was PFC Zollie F. Holt. He was assigned to the 1st Div., 26th Infantry Regt. PFC Holt joined the Army in April of 1944 and trained at Camp Joseph T. Robinson, Ark., and Fort Meade, Md. I do not know when or where he entered Europe. He was reportedly killed on January 24, 1945 at Butgenbuch, Belgium. Newspaper accounts report that he was posthumously awarded the Purple Heart, Good Conduct Medal and a Presidential Citation. His body was recovered several years later and he was laid to rest at Fort Sam Houston National Cemetery, San Antonio, TX.

I am assisting his eldest son, my father-in-law, who was only 14 at the time of his father's death. I am trying to gather information about PFC Holt's short time in Europe including any information including verification of the location of his death and on any actions surrounding his death.

Thank you very much for any asssitance you may be able to provide.

Steve Brown

ANSWER: Dear Sir,
       Thank You for your question.  Also, THANK YOU for referring to me as "Mr. Horrell".  Good Manners NEVER go out of style.
       May I suggest that you obtain PFC Holt's I.D.P.F. (Individual Deceased Personnel File).  The address you send your letter-of-request to is:

Department of the Army
US Army Human Resources Command
  1600 Spearhead Division Avenue     Dept 107
   Fort Knox   KY   40122-5504

Include in your letter-of-request the following about PFC Holt:

Serial Number (NOT his Social Security Number)

Entered Service From (county & state)

Date KIA

If you are lacking any of these facts, simply type ___?___ so that the person handling the IDPF understands that you did not forget an answer.
       There is no fee, but there is a 3-5 month wait due to backlog.  Also, please include a daytime telephone number, in case there is a question.
       One other point about the IDPF.  They can be quite detailed & therefore gruesome.  You may wish to have a non-family member read it first, so as to try to ease the shock of the contents to the family.
       Also, may I suggest that your father-in-law join A.W.O.N. (American War Orphan Network).  I personally know this to be a superb organization, dedicated to finding answers for people just like your father-in-law.  I suggest you conduct an internet search for American War Orphan Network, you should have no trouble finding their web site.
       In closing, may I thank the Holt Family for making the supreme sacrifice to defend our great republic.  I grew up in a nation filled with opportunities, available to me because of the sacrifice PFC Holt & his family made.  THANK YOU.

Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502

Zollie F Holt
Zollie F Holt  
QUESTION: Dear Mr. Horrell,
Thank you sir for your quick attention to my request. I will indeed contact the IDPF for information, and will tell my father-in-law about the A.W.O.N program.

I have one other follow up question. I am attempting to determine if Pfc Holt was awarded a Combat Infantryman Badge (CIB) for his service. I have found no evidence of this award in any of the papers I have found. Since he was obviously participating in combat operations when he was K-I-A, the family would like to honor him by securing the CIB. If you have knowledge on how to and whom to contact to see if this is still possible to arrange, I would again appreciate your assistance.

If we are able to have the CIB awarded, the American Legion Post that my father-in-law and I are members of plan to have a ceremony to honor Pfc Holt.

I am attaching a photo of Pfc Zollie Holt.

Steve Brown

Dear Sir,
       Thank you for your follow-up.  Also, THANK YOU for continuing to refer to me as "Mr. Horrell".  As to a Combat Infantryman Badge for PFC Holt, the best place to start that sort of research would be with the unit records for the 26th Infantry Regiment, 1st Infantry Division.  I suggest you contact:

US Army Heritage & Educational Center
Carlisle Barracks   PA   17013-5050

IF you are able to secure a CIB, then there is one other award to consider.  The National Defense Act of September 1947 (yes, two years AFTER WW 2 ended) retro-actively awarded a Bronze Star Medal for Valor to those who were awarded a CIB during WW 2.  
       There is one other location that you may wish to contact for FACTS about PFC Holt.  In Cantigny [sic] Illinois there is a 1st Infantry Division Museum.  That museum may be a location to contact for their assistance with unit records of the 26th Infantry Regiment, 1st Infantry Division.
       I will eagerly await the details as per your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502

Military History

Richard V. Horrell

Can answer: World War Two. Specifically, the troop transport ships that took US Military Personnel overseas & returned them to the US, 1941-47. Also, unit history of US Army QM, Signal, MP, Ordnance, Medical, Transportation & Engineer units that served during WW 2. The more obscure units are my specialty. If you have the APO that a Veteran sent letters from or received letters at, I can look up the history of that APO.

A lifelong study of WW 2, including participation as a WW 2 Re-enactor, 1980-2002. Also, interviewing over 400 WW 2 Veterans about their role in WW 2.

AASLH, Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society

Over 800 Profiles that I have written for client's about their loved one's role in WW 2.

BA, History & Political Science (19th & 20th Century European History) Webster University, Webster Groves, MO.

Assisting the National Archives on numerous occasions during the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of WW 2, 1991-95.

Respectfully, I do not disclose the names of the clients I deal with. I have a confidentially agreement with them.