Military History/47th Station Hospital APO

Hello, Mr. Horrell,

It is me again ... Sue Sablic.  Back in August 2012 I wrote to ask about APO addresses of my parents' unit the 47th Station Hospital.  I continue doing research as I work on my parents' memoir. It is slow going, but I am learning so much.

I have still trying to find out when the camp#s# for the enlisted men was/were located before September 1942 when the whole unit was relocated to Katoomba.  I have run across another APO address that I'm hoping you can help me with.  My father wrote some of his first letters from an APO 1111 San Francisco address. I was wondering if you could please tell me a little about where this APO address was located in Australia?  

My mother's first address was APO 1117 which was Melbourne, and their permanent APO while in Sydney was APO 927.

I have also discovered my mother's transport shop ... it was the US Uruguay, which left New York Port of Embarkation, Brooklyn New York on March 3, 1942, arriving at Port Melbourne, Australia on April 10, 1942.     

Thanks again so very much for all your help.

Sue Sablic

Dear Ms.
       Thank you for your follow-up.  As to APO 1111 & APO 1117, both were considered Temporary APO's.  APO 1111 was assigned to APO 501 by June 12, 1942 & ceased to exist in early 1945.  APO 1117 was assigned to APO 501 by February 17, 1942 & ceased to exist in early 1945.
       APO 501 was HQ, Services of Supply, US Army Forces in the Far East.  

established Melbourne, Australia, January 1, 1942

Sydney, Australia, beginning September 1942

Brisbane, Australia, beginning February 1943

Hollandia, New Guinea, beginning November 25, 1944

Leyte, Philippine Islands, beginning January 1945

Tacloban, Leyte, Philippine Islands, beginning February 5, 1945

Manila, Luzon, Philippine Islands, beginning March 7, 1945

ceased to exist, May 5, 1946

As to your "mother's transport shop" [sic]:

Departure Date:   March 4, 1942
Departure Location:   New York Port of Embarkation:
Troop Ship:   SS Uruguay
Unit(s) Onboard:   126th Signal Radio Intelligence Company
         elements of the 41st Infantry Division
Arrival Date:   April 6, 1942
Arrival Location:   Brisbane, Australia
    via the Panama Canal, Bora Bora & Auckland, New Zealand

Respectfully, may I ask, what is your source that the 47th Station Hospital was onboard the SS Uruguay (not "US Uruguay") & not one of the other troop ships in this troop ship convoy?
       Continued success with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502

Military History

Richard V. Horrell

Can answer: World War Two. Specifically, the troop transport ships that took US Military Personnel overseas & returned them to the US, 1941-47. Also, unit history of US Army QM, Signal, MP, Ordnance, Medical, Transportation & Engineer units that served during WW 2. The more obscure units are my specialty. If you have the APO that a Veteran sent letters from or received letters at, I can look up the history of that APO.

A lifelong study of WW 2, including participation as a WW 2 Re-enactor, 1980-2002. Also, interviewing over 400 WW 2 Veterans about their role in WW 2.

AASLH, Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society

Over 800 Profiles that I have written for client's about their loved one's role in WW 2.

BA, History & Political Science (19th & 20th Century European History) Webster University, Webster Groves, MO.

Assisting the National Archives on numerous occasions during the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of WW 2, 1991-95.

Respectfully, I do not disclose the names of the clients I deal with. I have a confidentially agreement with them.