Military History/505th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 82nd Airborne Division

Dear Sir:  Although my father passed away in 2000, I only recently came across a copy of his discharge record.  As I said it is a copy and it appears that he must have kept it folded and carried in his wallet for many, many years.  Since finding this record, it has made me long for more information regarding his service in WWII.  He never discussed anything to do with the war, but he did meet and marry my mother while recuperating in Manchester, England.  My father's discharge shows that his confirmed battles were in Naples Foggia, Ardennes, Rhineland, Central Europe, Normandy, Sicily and Northern France.  As stated, he never spoke of his time in the military, but I do know that he was a recipient of two purple hearts, a good conduct medal and his discharge paper indicates an EAMETO medal.  Can you tell me what that stands for?   Do you know if there is a way to tell what company he would have served with?   I noticed in another post that recommended reading is a book entitled "The Ready."  I will certainly look for this publication, but if you can share anything with me regarding your knowledge and research, I will be most appreciative.

Dear Ms.,
       Thank you for your question.  In your question you typed "Can you tell me what that stands for?"  European, African, MEditerranean Theater of Operation Medal.  
       In your question you typed "Do you know if there is.......would have served with?"  Yes, obtain the unit records.

US Army Heritage & Education Center
Carlisle Barracks   PA   17013-5050

In your question you typed "The Ready."  Respectfully, the title of the unit history of the 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment is "Ready" by Allen L. Langdon.  I have a copy on my desk in front of me as I type.
       The following may be of interest to you:

Departure Date:   April 28, 1943
Departure Location:   New York Port of Embarkation
Troop Ship:   SS Monterey
Unit Onboard:   elements of the 82nd Airborne Division, including the 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment
Arrival Date:   May 10, 1943
Arrival Location:Casablanca, Morocco

Good Luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell
    WW 2 Connections
     211 Union St.   #611
      Nashville   TN   37201-1502  

Military History

Richard V. Horrell

Can answer: World War Two. Specifically, the troop transport ships that took US Military Personnel overseas & returned them to the US, 1941-47. Also, unit history of US Army QM, Signal, MP, Ordnance, Medical, Transportation & Engineer units that served during WW 2. The more obscure units are my specialty. If you have the APO that a Veteran sent letters from or received letters at, I can look up the history of that APO.

A lifelong study of WW 2, including participation as a WW 2 Re-enactor, 1980-2002. Also, interviewing over 400 WW 2 Veterans about their role in WW 2.

AASLH, Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society

Over 800 Profiles that I have written for client's about their loved one's role in WW 2.

BA, History & Political Science (19th & 20th Century European History) Webster University, Webster Groves, MO.

Assisting the National Archives on numerous occasions during the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of WW 2, 1991-95.

Respectfully, I do not disclose the names of the clients I deal with. I have a confidentially agreement with them.